KarlC

Re: Junkyard Wheel, Wrong Size! :(

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 am

eNate wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:07 pm
Good news! I been in contact with the salvage yard and they're shipping me the correct wheel.

If anybody wants this rear wheel and decent tire for 250 and can pick up in Oakland PM me now because otherwise I'm shipping it back in a few days.
Would you ship it to San Diego ?

THx Karl
2015 i3 Rex, Arravani Grey, Tera World, Technology, Driving & Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19" wheels

eNate

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:34 am

If you're willing to pay shipping, sure. PM me.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

eNate

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 pm

Rear wheel gone!

eNate

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:00 am

Alright, here's the dealio...

I used the salvage yard inventory website http://www.car-part.com to track down these wheels. This particular seller I chose was closest., but there are many others out there with i3 wheels.

Price was $150, and upon contact quoted me 40 shipping. This seller had this listed as "front" under the search category. I initiated contact through an automated web inquiry, but nowhere in the inquiry text did it say "front" or list the pertinent dimensions,. All of the rest of our business was conducted by phone, text, email, and scanned PDF I signed for credit card authorization (on which i wrote "19x5" but not "front" or the tire size.

So that's why it fell apart, because he said "I've got a couple of these" and he sent me a photo of the nicer looking wheel, which I okayed. Frankly, it didn't even cross my mind that he would mistake a front for a rear, but hey, the i3 is an quirky little buggy.

He offered to ship the correct wheel no charge, but wanted me to cover return shipping of the rear wheel back to him. I didn't even bother to argue because I figured I could move the rear with no problem for a better price and cover my cost and put a few bucks in my pocket.

I ended up shipping it to a buyer in LA. The $37 online FedEx quote turned in to $44 in the store: I used listed weights of 18 lbs for the wheel and 19 lbs for the tire that I found with a web search, but actual scale weight was 43 pounds. Plus insurance, which I always decline but didn't. Then when I swiped my card the $44 in-store quote ballooned to $60 for "special non-FedEx packaging" which was ridiculous. Lesson: pay for & print the shipping label at home.

Anyhow, for a sale price of $250 shipped, the shipping ate up any profit, and that's not counting the leftover green holiday Glad wrap I bought at Safeway that morning, another $6. My time, of course, is free. I was still technically ahead since the correct wheel was being shipped to me for no charge. I called the salvage yard to tell them I "would be keeping" the rear, and they were cool with that any only charged me $150. Last I checked, even with the Glad wrap, I'm slightly ahead of where I would have been. Let's just call it a wash.

Rear wheel quadruple wrapped and LA-bound, ready for the handoff to FedEx.

Last night I came home to a package behind the garage.

Who wraps a wheel like this? I can already tell this one is is slightly worse condition than the first one, which was nearly pristine.

Peek at the hub and the size & offset check out.

Dirty, but looks pretty good!

A few inches of light rim rash, not awful for a spare, but not par for an "A" graded wheel.

I'd have been fine with a bald tire -- the tire was bonus, many sellers list the wheel only -- but the tread looks close to new.

Mick787

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Somewhere on the forum is a thread I posted about having a spare wheel. In short, the front rims can be put on the rear but the rear rims can't go on the front. Front rims on the rear are ok as long as the tyre fitted on the rim is the correct load rating. Also check the rotation, the tyres are directional so you really need 2 to be covered. The tyre pressure label stuck on the door frame shows what can be fitted and BMW specify that 155's can be fitted all around, (subject to the correct load rating of the tyre. My comments refer to my experience here in the UK.

eNate

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Mick787 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Somewhere on the forum is a thread I posted...

...Front rims on the rear are ok as long as the tyre fitted on the rim is the correct load rating. Also check the rotation, the tyres are directional so you really need 2 to be covered.

???

Here's your thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16540

If it's an "i3 tire" (i.e. EP500, EP600), it's the correct load rating. Stock is 86Q load rating at both ends.

The tires are not directional. The tires do have an inside and an outside, which is indicated on the sidewalls, but outside on the left is same as outside on the right.

Early i3s had directional wheels (left wheel, right wheel), which was only an aesthetic detail. The wheels pictured in this post are both "universal" aka ambidextrous, found on both sides of. However, the car-part.com website I used categorizes all of the 428-style wheels as either "left" or "right" so check the photo to be sure, IF that's important to you.

In a nutshell, an i3 front wheel & tire will serve as a suitable spare at any location, I believe even on an i3S.

Here's an i3 with left & right wheels mixed and on full display somebody shared on the Facebook group recently.

jadnashuanh

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:15 pm

My personal experience with FedEx is lousy. I won't use them unless it's the only choice.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

eNate

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:03 pm

I don't want to bag on FedEx. Too much.

I should have printed the label at home. I shipped a set of four wheels/tires with them previously, and they were cheaper than UPS.

Also noticed the wheel was originally shipped to me with 17 lbs listed on the UPS label. WTH? I wonder if they caught that.

Here's a funny FedEx logistics puzzle. I ordered an item from Britain, shipped FedEx.

First night tracking shows it in Feltham, a town outside Heathrow's south fence. I don't think Heathrow has FedEx operations, but whatever, it's on the way.

Next night it shows up in Stansted. Ok, Stansted is a FedEx base.

The night after it shows up at Charles De Gaulle. Really? Paris? I just want my box.

Next night I pull up my box on a flight tracker, over Nova Scotia, onboard a CDG-Memphis-bound 777. And what's flying on a track right next to it? A MEM-bound FDX flight out of Stansted.

Hopefully it shows up with a bottle of champagne or a tasty wedge of French cheese.

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”