Trunk weight limit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z3i3rich

I noted that there is a no suitcase logo on the mounted panel under the decorative panel in the trunk/boot. Clearly this is meant to indicate that there is a weight limit, which I think one dealer I talked to had also mentioned. I don't plan on hauling bags of concrete or anything, but I would also like to know what size feather I can carry . :D I looked everywhere and did not see the exact weight limit or if that changed for the Rex vs Bev. Any help?

Huh. I can't help with a weight limit.

But I could guess the decal means "no storage underneath." Not likely though.

More likely, I'd suppose, is that the carpeted floor panel in combination with the stainless cover provides extra strength via load distribution, whereas a concentrated load on the stainless alone could cause dimpling. I also wonder about heat, noise, and cargo sliding around.

When I installed my Trunk Extension that was a question that was raised, calling out the reinforced plastic replacing the stainless. The manufacturer of the Trunk Extension, Wokeby, also doesn't state a weight limit. I also made the "sacks of concrete" comparison. So far, nothing close to that, but I've carried tires mounted, batteries, tools, propane tanks, and no problems.

Still, a number would be nice.

eNate said:
More likely, I'd suppose, is that the carpeted floor panel in combination with the stainless cover provides extra strength via load distribution, whereas a concentrated load on the stainless alone could cause dimpling.
The service cover on our 2014 looks like a CFRP panel. Apparently it was superseded in 12/2014 by a metal panel of some sort. z3i3rich, which type of cover is on your i3? Don't know whether the weight bearing load of each panel differs. I assume the CFRP cover is lighter.

We use our i3 for work and need to haul tools and some materials to job sites. I made a checker plate box that runs from the hatch to the just behind the front seats. This means I am not loading on the access cover as my new covers rests on the back of the rear seats (while folded down) and the area behind the access cover. I can fill it with work related stuff and if I need to use the back seat, I just slide the box out and 4 seats are available. This box also contains the mess and I can just pull it out and clean it with out spreading it to the rest of the interior.

If we wanted to carry 500 lbs. of ready mix bags, we probably could, but that mess is best left for the pickup!

I had the rear windows tinted to keep the wondering eyes from seeing anything in the back. So far no one has tried to break into it and steal my tools. I think the i3 is a low risk target for thieves at the best of times.

This doesn't really answer the question of weight limits but this is how we made our i3 more versatile.

The specifications I could find don't say anything about a weight limit on the "service cover". The specifications for the 120ah i3 gives maximum load (440 kg) and the maximum total load on the rear axle (965 kg). The total weight and axle loading ratio (48/52) indicates that without cargo the rear axle has a load of 660.4 kg. Subtract that from the allowed maximum to get: 304.6 kg (670.12 lbs). The values for other models would be similar so I'd suggest you keep the trunk contents below 600 pounds. :)

If you are worried about the service cover, a slab of 3/4" plywood to spread the load should protect it.

Thanks for all the replies. They did not exactly answer my question but they did give me some good insights.

Alohart - my cover is definitely stainless. I'm not sure it the different covers are based on year or configuration. I have a 2017 Rex. I would imagine the stainless is stronger, but who knows in car made out of CFRP.

Johnwasser. I definitely plan to keep it below 600. I can't imagine I will put more than 140 on it directly at any given time. Any more weight would be distributed over an area bigger than just that panel. That being said, i would think that BMW might have taken that into account when the placed the sticker, especially since a suitcase would almost have to be less than 100 pounds .

Surely the no suitcase sticker means no storage beneath the cover and not "this will not support a suitcase" I wouldn't drop a big rock on it, but I wouldn't hold back on loading it up. It should flex before it fails and I haven't seen that happen. Having all it's fasteners tight should help it's strength, sorta like a tight drum head is stiffer than the membrane by itself.

Is it me or does the weight limit something that should have been written on the sticker??? Seems sloppy (and net very German engineering-ish) to warn you of a piece of equipment's limitation and not state the limit.

Odd thing is that the dealer that pointed this out said this was to protect the REX, but it seems like the sticker is on BEVs too.

Back