Playlists for USB memory stick , playing music

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanisLupus

This works on both my 2016 and my 2020

Export a playlist from your music library onto the same directory as the 'Music' folder that you copied over . Choose file type M3U . Add the word
Playlist to the beginning of the file name so it will be recognized as a playlist . I have 2 spaces after Playlist ,you might get away with one space . ie. 'Loaded fer BER.m3u' should be renamed to 'Playlist Loaded fer BER.m3u'

You will also need to do some 'Editing' . You can use a text editor and the option 'Find and Replace' .

The second line of each song item shows the location of the file including the file name at the end . But since I only copied the 'Music' folder
that resides in the 'iTunes Media' folder then on the flash drive , I don't need /Users/George/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/

ie.

#EXTINF:264,Owner Of A Lonely Heart - Yes
/Users/George/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Yes/90125/Owner Of A Lonely Heart.m4a

needs to become

#EXTINF:264,Owner Of A Lonely Heart - Yes
Music/Yes/90125/Owner Of A Lonely Heart.m4a

That's about it for now . Might experiment with video files but I'm mainly after music listening .

As I mentioned in the other topic , I'll watch for questions and do my best to answer them .

George

Here's an update with new info . It seems that some of the songs were not showing up . I only showed near 500 when the USB stick had closer to 2000 songs . The fix that worked was removing the 'Music' folder which actually held all of the other folders etc. . Perhaps , within any given folder there is a limit to either the number of items it can have under it's hierarchy or the overall memory size of it .

That being the fix , we must then amend each individual item in the playlist script .

Using Find/Replace you can 'Find' Music/ and just leave the 'Replace' field blank . Hit All

Hope this helps .

I'll give the Random and Shuffle functions another try hoping that they work correctly now .

Back