Parking Assist not available on the 2020 i3 models

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timjohn

I noticed that my 2020 i3 Rex has a button for parking distance sensors. But the manual that I have indicated that parking assistance is available if there are sensors close to where the front flanges are. My i3s does not have the necessary sensors so I assumed this option is not available on an i3s. However when I do to the BMW Canada sites, I didn't see any of the models had this feature available (i3, i3 rex, i3s, i3s rex). IS this true and when did this stop and why?

Huh, I think you may be right! I'm scoping out some local loaded VINs on mdecoder and while S508:parking Distance is listed, S5DP:park Assist is missing! My Google searches for this feature being discontinued are fruitless.

I assume that most U.S. i3 owners specified the Parking Assist option mainly to get the backup camera. The camera is now required by U.S. law, so removing it from Parking Assist didn't leave much of value. Automatic parking is slow and can easily drag a wheel along the curb.

The Parking Assist option also included front ultrasonic distance sensors. These must now be the S508: Parking Distance option. Is this standard in North American i3's?

Count me in as someone that "required" the parking package for the backup camera but couldn't care less about the automatic parking function. Honestly, I don't even know when/where it can park for you. I have seen videos of self parking smacking curbs as well as people saying never to use it if you like your wheels unmangled.

I agree that this feature can be problematic. For my point of view, I did not want any of the driver assistance features such as the ACC, lane departure, parking assistance etc. Even the cruise control that we have on both of our cars including the i3s won't be used. The past few vehicles that I had them and never used them so having the next step of distancing control, never appealed to me. I think parking assistance has been dropped in 2020 and their website seems to indicate this.

alohart said:
The Parking Assist option also included front ultrasonic distance sensors. These must now be the S508: Parking Distance option. Is this standard in North American i3's?

That's how it appears -- I'm seeing parking sensors listed for the local 2020 i3 listings I'm pulling up. My 2017 had both, but now I only find the S508 listed. Also noticing that BMW dealers I'm checking (browsing different price points to see what's coming standard for 2020) seem to be very light on i3 inventory.

I have never used my i3's auto parking, but like the sensors (wish they offered blind-spot indicators though!) and use the camera frequently for a very tight parking spot.

Dear Tim,
If I’m right you have a i3S.
The Park Assist is nowhere in the world available on the “s” version. This is due a missing sensor near the front wheel and due to the fact the car is a little wider. There was no easy solution to solve this... according a bmw engineer I spoke.

I hope this answers your question.

I think the addition of the fender flares actually covers the area that the sensors would be , therefore all i3s and also i3 with suspension and 20" wheels will not have Parking Assist .

I have access to both CA and US 2020 order guides, I can confirm that 5DP - Parking Assistant (which includes 508) is still available on non-s models... s models only offer 508 - Park Distance Control because of the fender flares (as others above have pointed out).

Back