Am radio...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timjohn

OK I tried coding my 2020 i3s for the AM radio because I have some other contacts with 2-3 year old i3's that were able to enable this with Bimmercode. So it doesn't work with a 2020 model. Guess they must have include a AM radio in earlier models (hidden in their hardware) but did not allow casual use.

The radio would have all kinds of sound quality issues with the i3 being an EV. Understandably because I noticed in my ICE that when electric buses pass us the AM radio sound quality was lousy. When did they stop this?

I have a 2017 with the HU-high, and when coding the AM radio (with E-Sys) there were choices like KW band I selected them because I understood shortwave was also a possibility. I concluded that the HU-entry (business) radio might be able to tune the other band, its made by a different vendor. My unit works very well on AM, parked up I can listen to a station 500km away during the day....but only local stations when driving due to the musical noise from the electric machine. But with only 3 local FM station where I live, there are 15 AM ones.

The part no. for the HU-H has changed 3 times since mine, so maybe the vendor is different.

For my AM listening pleasure I just get the AM station app on my iPhone and connect via bluetooth. Seems to work fine for me.

Doug - out

Hey Doug...thats a good idea. My local AM stations are good for up to date news, traffic and weather (AM 1130 and 730.)

Back