Connecting to the i3's Secondary Charge Points, Are They There?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
The vast majority of my charging is through the 120v supplied "occasional use charger" and I get along just fine.

However, it involves the extra step of plugging in to the wall outlet, and then plugging in the J1772 handle to the car. So normally I'll have one cord going in to my frunk area to supply the EVSe, and one coming out, draped over my sideview mirror, to the charging port.

I note that BMW and Evatran both have wireless charging solutions available for the i3. This implies that they connect to... to what? Something other than opening the charge port. Which also tells me the car does not need to "see" the charge port being opened to initiate charging.

Evatran doesn't provide access to an installation guide, as installation is included in their purchase price. Any idea what they might be connecting to, and whether it's "plug and play," or if some coding is required?

Ideally with this hooked up as I imagine, I'd pull in to work, pop the frunk, run my cord to the wall receptacle, and walk away.

Wireless charging is sort of like wireless charging for a phone...there needs to be a coil mounted on the floor, you drive over it so that the coil mounted under the car's chassis lines up, and it inductively charges the car. IOW, there are no cords to plug in or deal with, just driving the vehicle over the coil on the floor beneath it.

Yeah, I get that Jim, but the receiving wireless coil has to patch in to the i3's charging structure somewhere downstream of the rectifier, where real current is fed in to charge the battery.

I'd like to take advantage of that point of connection to "hard wire" my OUC in and eliminate the charging port connection.

You haven't come across any technical docs that describe BMW's wireless system, and how it's installed?

Back