How to deactivate acoustic pedestrian protection?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfanning

Replaced our 2017 i3 BEV with a 2020 i3s BEV. The 2020 fixes all the things that bugged me in the 2017. Unfortunately it added one new item that is super annoying, the noisemaker at low speeds.

Is there a way to deactivate the acoustic pedestrian protection noisemaker? Thinking maybe unplugging something or via one of the code apps?

TIA

In theory, should you ever have an accident with a pedestrian, or maybe even another car in a parking lot, you'd be opening yourself up to a big lawsuit as you would have defeated a now required safety component of the vehicle. I doubt it's on the states' inspection list, but it likely will be eventually, and if you have safety inspections, your vehicle could fail. My new hybrid X5 45e is supposed to have the acoustic warning, but so far, I've not noticed it. I've not driven with the windows opened, so haven't really checked to see if it does, or what it actually sounds like. So far, I've only had my ICE turn on once, and that was a test to verify that it did...so, it's being used essentially as an EV for most of my driving.

Someone previously was looking at how to do that, but I don't remember if they succeeded...you might try searching. Note, BMW says that driving with the windows opened above 25-mph means you'll use more energy due to drag than you would by relying on the HVAC system...

Hmmm, not sure where I asked for a legal opinion...

Yes, I reviewed other threads but didn't see an answer for disabling the noisemaker. It really is quite loud in the car, yes, with the windows up. As soon as the car is in 'gear' it starts a tone. As soon as you slow below ~25mph the tone starts. It's super annoying in such a quiet car.

Does anyone have ideas on how to disable or mute the noisemaker?

It can be done using BimmerCode App and an ODB Bluetooth dongle to communicate with the car.

https://bimmercode.app/

MKH, do you know the specific item(s) that need to be coded? Or if there's a cheat sheet for all the code options?

I have BimmerCode paid, and an OBDLink LX. There's a generic setting but it doesn't seem to do anything. I looked in Expert mode and am reluctant to code anything without knowing exactly what to change.

In the UK, the pedestrian protection is on by default, but can be toggled off in the i-drive menu. Each time the car is shut off, the setting defaults back on, so has to be toggled off again whenever the car is restarted if the driver wants the sound off. (Also puts up a dash warning when the sound is toggled off').

In the USA that menu item is deactivated/hidden. I think what the BimmerCode setting is supposed to do, is re-activate that i-drive menu item, so it is accessible, like in the UK. If it is not doing that, you might email the BimmerCode developer - he is usually pretty responsive.

There is also a discussion thread on using BimmerCode Expert Mode to more permanently disable the sound here:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696251

With BimmerCode, in Headunit, expert mode, category EXBOX, is VSG_HMI_MENUE, set to aktiv, and the sound can be turned off in iDrive. Unfortunately this has to reset every time the car is started. I was able to set a shortcut button to simplify at startup.

I'm still trying to work with BimmerCode for find a more permanent disable. Other coded settings don't seem to impact the permanence.

I found this reference for coding options, useful Excel file when trying to find specific items - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...d=1566049754&usg=AOvVaw0_N5t4MZNeJc3Bm-anTC4V

Ok, yeah....WOW! I never heard any kind of low speed pedestrian acoustic warning in my 2019 i3, but it is V E R Y there in my 2020.

It is kind of a high pitched singing, electronic blue whale mating sound, LOL. While I understand why it is there, I would be very pleased if it went away and never returned ;)

After owning 2 previous i3's, I was shocked to learn about the "Vehicle Sound Generator - VSG" (or Pedestrian Alert System) as I drove off the BMW lot. I didn't even think of test driving a car that I had owned twice already. SURPRISE! Anyhow, I was disappointed to say the least. I love the car, but the whaling ghost aliens had to go.

I was at a loss.... even after reading several forums, I just couldn't find any hack/code that worked for the North American/US version. However, there was one post that showed hope using BimmerCode -- but in 'Expert Mode.' Even though my version didn't quite have all the menu items, I discovered a way to pretty much turn down the volume/silence on our alien friends.

Required; BimmerCode

Menu; Vehicle Sound Generator [in Expert Mode] >> 3000 VSG Configuration >> Wave File >> UNK_PARAM_7 (was previously on Wave File 1)

What I have noticed is that as you go down further on the wave file menu, the softer/lower the volume gets.

NOTE: The VSG will still engage when you put the car in 'reverse' -- but that is way better than having on 'all the time.'

Hey all,
This is not likely the best solution, but if you have bimmercode (and use expert mode) or NCSExpert, you can go into the control module and chance the value of the name of the noise file to something that doesn't exist. It'll get all confused and just play nothing. It'll throw a fault in the control module, but it won't cause any warning lights on the dash, or effect the vehicle's reliability in any way.

Back