Drivetrain malfunction + sudden 22% drop in GOM

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanstonI3

Staff member
2017 94ah BEV 20K miles. +14F outside.
Preconditioned the traction battery for the first time to see what would happen.
Had 88 miles on the GOM, before Preconditioning, 88 miles after. Seemed odd. I got full bars on Power so I thought maybe the GOM would increase but it did not.

Oh well, I head out and about 1 mile away I get the "Drivetrain Malfunction, Continued Driving is Possible. Consult Service Center" message on both screens. At the same time I notice that GOM has suddenly dropped from 88 to 64 miles. This is 100% charged and pre-conditioned.

Error message disappeared after a moment, but GOM still reads 64 miles.
This is the third time this error message has popped up and disappeared in the last week with same "at the first mile" mark. But this is the first time something else happened (GOM range suddenly dropping 22% while driving)

Any idea what could be causing this before I relinquish it to the Dealer? HV cable? Traction Battery module gone bad?
Even though the car is in a garage, it is still single digits (F) so I am not going to spend a lot of time mucking about with it right now. A few short trips to check this or that is about all I can deal with right now.

Have my 2017 rex 94ah at dealer with same drivetrain warning at 21000 miles, Diagnosed with faulty High voltage cable $94 and complete electric heater assembly $1200 dealer says cable on backorder till mid April so my car will sit at dealer for at least 3 months

Glennr said:
Have my 2017 rex 94ah at dealer with same drivetrain warning at 21000 miles, Diagnosed with faulty High voltage cable $94 and complete electric heater assembly $1200 dealer says cable on backorder till mid April so my car will sit at dealer for at least 3 months

Since I posted originally, the warning went away but came back about 3 times since then at random times.
Can't find anything as an obvious code using BimmerLink. Car otherwise runs as usual. Did your's die or did you just relinquish it to the Dealer?
I'm not giving up the car to have it sit there, but my 4 year warranty does expire in April so I should probably take it in just to get a record of the issue. I just don't want them saying I have to leave it until they get the part(s).

I think some people haver reported this to happen when the car has been driven in wet conditions, and once it dries out somewhat, the error goes away.

car repaired early picked it up 22 march 2021 would have cost $3800 if warranty expired. Vehicle just showed drivetrain malfunction service soon, car had all drivability , took it to dealer and drove a service loaner for 4 weeks

Glennr said:
car repaired early picked it up 22 march 2021 would have cost $3800 if warranty expired. Vehicle just showed drivetrain malfunction service soon, car had all drivability , took it to dealer and drove a service loaner for 4 weeks

Did the screen display the error code to the Dealer when you originally brought it in? Mine has no persistent evidence of ever displaying the error message other than my snapping a pic of it.

I think there's something regards wet conditions. I know there have been reports of corrosion on HV connections which throws up error. Check out Shaun Dobbie videos on YouTube. He's been plagued with drivetrain errors to date, but he has REx model.

Same here!

I’m hoping someone on the forum will be kind enough to offer some advice.

I just bought a 2018 i3 EV 3 days ago. 18000 miles.

It had 114 miles left on the indicator when I left the dealership. I drove it about 8 miles to a friend’s house and the charge went up to 122. Yea!

I drove 3 miles home (city, not highway always) and ended with 118. When I checked the car a few hours later as I was going over the manual, it had 99 miles on the indicator. Hmm.

It sat in my carport for a day.

I went to drive it today and it did EXACTLY what the OP wrote: check engine idiot lights, drive train failure message on the screen, and my charge went down to 59 miles and half the possible battery charge.

I live in mid-city Los Angeles so moisture is probably not the cause. It’s literally a desert here.

It’s a Certified pre-owned from a BMW dealership, but I think the drive train is NOT covered so I’m concerned.

I literally bought this 3 days ago.

What is my best course of action?

I was planning to call BMW directly and then the dealer. I already called BMW the day I got the car because when I read the CPO checklist I noticed it was done 6 months ago and brake service was due this week. The car computer says the brake service was done, so BMW told me they probably forgot to update the paperwork.

I’m also concerned because when I went to pick up the car, it flashed check engine lights and they didn’t shut off. I didn’t check the other screen. They took the car away to check it and returned it 5 minutes later saying the remote key battery was low and so they replaced it.

Now I’m suspicious. Can an unscrupulous dealer simply reset the codes so there’s no error? They did say they reset the computer as well.

I Love this car! But this is looking not good. Thanks for any insights or advice.

Hi Scichick,
Shouldn't your MY2018 still under the 4 years bumper to bumper warranty beside it is a CPO sold by a dealer? You should be able to take it back for them to fix your issue under warrantee.

Scichick said:
Same here!

It had 114 miles left on the indicator when I left the dealership. I drove it about 8 miles to a friend’s house and the charge went up to 122. Yea!

I drove 3 miles home (city, not highway always) and ended with 118. When I checked the car a few hours later as I was going over the manual, it had 99 miles on the indicator. Hmm.

It sat in my carport for a day.

You need to drive the car more for the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) to more accurately determine how to predict how many miles you have left. The GOM needs around 20 miles of driving before it can begin to adjust to whatever your driving/use is like. It is normal for the GOM to change a few miles when sitting due to changing ambient temperatures. Also- if you are sitting in the car with the car ON, but not driving, you are consuming power, so the GOM is going to slowly go down because you are still consuming electrons.

It’s a Certified pre-owned from a BMW dealership, but I think the drive train is NOT covered so I’m concerned.

The Drivetrain should be covered for 4 years from the date it was original sold plus there is additional coverage for CPO (I think). Take it to the Dealer if you have any concerns, but try to drive it for a bit to see how it works if you can. You may never get the DriveTrain Malfunction error again. I originally posted this and have not had that error show up again, nor have I found anything obvious when checking the car using BimmerLink.

You need to drive the car more for the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) to more accurately determine how to predict how many miles you have left. The GOM needs around 20 miles of driving before it can begin to adjust to whatever your driving/use is like. It is normal for the GOM to change a few miles when sitting due to changing ambient temperatures. Also- if you are sitting in the car with the car ON, but not driving, you are consuming power, so the GOM is going to slowly go down because you are still consuming electrons.

Thanks so much for the reply. I hear ya about the variation in the Guess-O-Meter (I love that slang) but this is just excessive. And I noticed the car charges a few miles every time I take it out so I've come home with more miles than I left with. Yesterday I filled it up (141 miles GOM) Drove 12 miles on Eco+ (I don't even use climate control; don't really like AC that much) and ended at home with 134, and this morning it was at 104.

I actually called BMW two days ago, and told them about everything. They said to take it in to the dealership since I just bought it.

So I took it in this morning (to a different dealership closer to me) and I had photographs of the instrument panel showing the difference and the miles driven. They fussed a bit, but once I showed the pics he took it for examination without issue.

Lo and behold, they called this afternoon to say that their preliminary diagnostics show a problem with the 12 volt battery! They said they have to charge and drain it a few more times, and run a few more tests, and talk to BMW headquarters to get repair approval.

The Drivetrain should be covered for 4 years from the date it was original sold plus there is additional coverage for CPO (I think).
My Certification coverage ends in December of 2022 for a 2017 (I'm already planning to battle for the G3 to G4 conversion since the G3 is done by February of next year). I signed a vague 1 and a half page document called the Statement of Certification and Coverage, and they said there were no proper terms and conditions. BMW confirmed this and it's frankly shocking to me how vague the terms are. Maybe it originated from Germany where there's not as much litigation.

But it does say that it is NOT an extension of the original warranty, and lists all the things not covered, such as "batteries; including lithium-ion" and "driveshaft flex (guibo coupling)" whatever that is. EV batteries are covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles here in CA, but I thought the 12 volt was separate.

Anyway, I love the car but don't want to get hosed on repairs that should have been done before the purchase.

It's the 6 month old certification check list that rang alarm bells. And they "forgot" to put a copy of it in my paperwork packet and I had to ask for a copy. The finance guy said that I told him I didn't need a copy of it, which is nuts since I told him I wanted a copy of everything I signed.

Like I said, a couple of alarm bells. Nothing malicious, but they were probably trying to get away with what they could, its capitalism after all so it is my job to not get shafted.

I'll post updates.

I hope its done by this weekend; a BMW i3 FB group here in LA is having a drive down Mulholland and that sounds fun!

Scichick said:
My Certification coverage ends in December of 2022 for a 2017 (I'm already planning to battle for the G3 to G4 conversion since the G3 is done by February of next year).

Glad to hear it was probably the 12v battery. Once you get it back please keep us updated on if that resolved your issue.
Also- your car already has 4G so there will be no interruption in your Connected Services unless you let them expire. You can always renew for $50 if they do expire.

Update: it was the 12v battery. Since I just got the car they replaced it for no charge and even updated my software. I’m pleased.

Also- your car already has 4G so there will be no interruption in your Connected Services unless you let them expire. You can always renew for $50 if they do expire.

That would be great, but I’m not getting that information. The dealer service told me that they don’t know anything; it’s up to BMW and when I spoke with BMW yesterday, I was told that the cars NOT getting upgrades we are all BMW vehicles 2016 and back AND all i3s without G4.

She specifically said that the i3 was excluded from any upgrade. Even the 2017.

I’d love to know where you got your information because I have found nothing but evasion or NO.

I lodged a complaint with the Attorney General of California, but I have no idea if the complaint will do anything. I argued fraud since they are removing standard features and as someone else said, if the box broke it would have to be repaired under warranty.

I’ve also contacted a law firm that specializes in class action suits against car companies (they already have one in progress concerning the BMW i3 with the gas engine).

A scary letter from either of those entities might be enough to nudge BMW into supporting the i3s.

I would be pleased as punch if they just did the upgrade since the tech is, according to you guys, already in the 2017. I just cannot get any confirmation of it.

Scichick said:

That would be great, but I’m not getting that information. The dealer service told me that they don’t know anything; it’s up to BMW and when I spoke with BMW yesterday, I was told that the cars NOT getting upgrades we are all BMW vehicles 2016 and back AND all i3s without G4.

She specifically said that the i3 was excluded from any upgrade. Even the 2017.

That's because the 2017 and later needs no "upgrade".
I’d love to know where you got your information because I have found nothing but evasion or NO.

Please see this post I made today. It pretty much sums up what I have found:
https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16636&p=68670#p68670

I would be pleased as punch if they just did the upgrade since the tech is, according to you guys, already in the 2017. I just cannot get any confirmation of it.

The "tech" is already in the 2017 so there is nothing to upgrade. Cars that already have "the tech" should switch over seamlessly come Feb 2022.

Shouldn't be any kind of "switch over," if the box is 4G then it should have been using 4G all along, despite what the icon on the screen says.

Back