BMW TeleService Battery Guard

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symonray

While reading some online articles about BMW's remote services, I noticed a service called BMW TeleService Battery Guard for the 12 volt batteries of BMW vehicles.

BMW's Connected Drive website describes the service as follows:

TeleService Battery Guard continually checks the battery charge level of the vehicle. If the battery charge level falls below a certain value, a notification is automatically sent to your service partner. If necessary, he will contact you to arrange a service appointment.

TeleService Battery Guard is only available on vehicles with certain technical requirements and with a valid BMW ConnectedDrive contract.

Is this service available for the 12 volt battery on the i3?

If so, has anyone ever received a call or email from a dealer through this service about a failing 12 volt battery?

Thanks.

I just checked the Connected Drive Store to see whether BMW TeleService Battery Guard was available for our 2014 i3. I had never seen this service offered to me in the past, and it's currently not offered. I'm guessing that at least early i3's don't have the necessary software or hardware to implement this service.

This was also not an option on my 2019 i3 or 2020 i3. It seems this would be even more important for the i3 compared to other BMW models, since a bad 12V in an EV can be near catastrophic in terms or reliability and vehicle usage.

Back