Battery Range loss Comparison to Bolt, Model 3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve999

I looked at a few posts comparing range loss per 10k mi driven for several vehicles. Looks like the I3 is not that bad compared to other EV's. The I3 22ah and 94ah is from regression lines on 20+ used cars I posted earlier, my personal data and another poster here (est. range from GOM, not batt kappa values). Interesting that loss is similar on all, and much lower than the two Bolts & Model 3 data found on-line.

Using GOM values would be really inaccurate. Which driving mode was the car in? How had it been driven during the previous 18 miles? What was the ambient temperature?

I'd put my money on the Idaho National Labs' tests of 4 new 2014 i3 BEV's. INL has sophisticated equipment that can measure battery pack capacity better than any i3 driver can. Three lost 7.5% of their battery pack capacity within 12k miles and 15 months of normal usage. The other was driven for only 4k miles and 3 months during which time it lost 3.4% of its capacity. Of course, these i3's all had 60 Ah battery packs which seem much more prone to capacity loss than 94 Ah and 120 Ah battery packs.

I agree with Alohart's comments. However, the estimated range data en masse, is interesting nontheless. Here are a few of the various source graphs, for what it's worth. My battkappa has dropped to 16.3 from 17.8 when purchased 3 yrs ago, yet I'm getting nearly the almost same GOM range under same driving style-seems odd. This data suggests 94ah degradation rate may not be that much better than the 60ah (very noisy data though).

where is the tab key on toshiba laptop

Batteries degrade from temperature excursions beyond design and (mostly) the number of charging cycles. Given the same miles driven, a vehicle with a smaller battery will require more charging cycles. Note, one cycle is from 0-100%, not the number of times it is plugged in, so one from 0-100% is about the same as 10 from 90-100%.

Back