Pre-heating the battery, not just the cabin.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteRexNJ

Some EVs do this when you pre-condition them if they're plugged into level 2, does anyone know if the i3 is one of those? I would really like to not have drastically reduced range in the winter (NJ)

For reference, this is my 2nd EV and I just got it a month ago. I am all too familiar with reduced range in cold temperatures.

Yes, if you're plugged in (even to 120 volts), and have a departure time set at least 3 hours in the future, the battery will be warmed. At 120 volts, because the load is greater than what's available through the cord, the battery will be used to make up the difference. It's not much though, maybe a percent or two (probably temperature dependant). I've driven away at 100% on L1 with a preheated battery on a number of occasions.

eNate said:
Yes, if you're plugged in (even to 120 volts), and have a departure time set at least 3 hours in the future, the battery will be warmed. At 120 volts, because the load is greater than what's available through the cord, the battery will be used to make up the difference. It's not much though, maybe a percent or two (probably temperature dependant). I've driven away at 100% on L1 with a preheated battery on a number of occasions.

Aha, thank you! Does this apply if I do "climatize now" in the app?

WhiteRexNJ said:
eNate said:

Aha, thank you! Does this apply if I do "climatize now" in the app?

No. Climatize now will just pre heat or pre cool the cabin, using the battery, but not pre-conditioning the battery. The only way to precondition the battery is to have the car (preferably Level II) plugged in and to set a preset time (oddly it is called charging too, even if you are just going to use it for battery conditioning. As the other member said, this needs to be set at least 3 hours before your departure. If not, then it just heats or cools the cabin!

Good info. Took me awhile but I finally got this pre-heating the battery information through my thick skull. I do have a related question though - I read somewhere that charging the battery on Level 2 (and level 1 perhaps) prior to leaving also preheats the battery. In other words, the act of charging the battery also has the effect of pre-heating the battery. Can someone confirm?

Yes, indirectly, batteries warm as they charge, and a higher charge rate will result in a warner battery. If you're curious, you can access the secret menu to see the battery temperature during or following a charging session.

eNate said:
Yes, indirectly, batteries warm as they charge, and a higher charge rate will result in a warner battery. If you're curious, you can access the secret menu to see the battery temperature during or following a charging session.

Do you have a full charge before precondition? I am wanting to know if having a full charge before precondition is a good idea or having a 90© charge is better then letting the precondition finish charging

Bdentoni3 said:
Do you have a full charge before precondition? I am wanting to know if having a full charge before precondition is a good idea or having a 90© charge is better then letting the precondition finish charging

No, the precondition and battery heating will happen even if that means the battery isn't fully charged by departure time.

I've been playing with battery preconditioning over the past two weeks. I should be taking notes and should also wait until our next cold snap (likely next winter), but I've observed the following on modestly cool nights (~40° ambient):

PC ON, I find my battery pretty consistently at 19°C (66°F) at night, leaving work, at the end of an 8 hour charge session on L1 (16 amps). Mid-state charge level 50%-80% usually, never at 100%,

PC ON, I did the same experiment on a 32A L2 charger at work, an found the battery again at 19°C.

PC ON, pre-charged to 100% (so little if any residual heat from charging), plugged in to L2, and the battery reported 16°C (61° F).

PC On, pre-charged to 100%, plugged in to L1, now the battery is at 10°C (50°F).

PC Off, charging L1, I consistently see 19°C.

PC Off, no charge (unplugged), I haven't been able to get good readings since my ambient temps have been too high -- I need some mid-30° F days where I can count on little latent heat being left in my battery.

10°C sounds like a low temperature for a battery to be pre-heated to, but as a basis for comparison, I also own an ID.4 that heats the battery only to 8°C (46°F), and allows it to warm "naturally" from that point onward through internal resistance during discharge/use.

Back