OBD port relocation (insurance demand)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milika

Hi,
my insurance company will not give me full coverage if i do not "relocate OBD port"
Has anyone done this? Is it just moving it from its place, to a more secure location?
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards

What's wrong with its current location? This is a pretty standard location for many vehicles.

Leaving an OBD dongle in the port after shutting an i3 down will sound the burglar alarm eventually by default. This behavior can be changed using something like BimmerCode to change the value of a parameter that controls this behavior. However, that's a bit less secure and might result in a greater 12 V vampire load with a dongle always in the port, especially if it's broadcasting an Ethernet or Bluetooth signal.

Is this for some sort of "Pay As You Drive" Insurance where you get a discounted rate if they are allowed to track your usage?

If not, then what is going on? This is not a normal request.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your post on the FB Worldwide group about this.
You are in Central Europe and for some reason the Insurance company you have chosen to deal with requires the OBD port to be hidden somehow because they think thieves will access it and use software to steal the car. And everyone on the WorldWide Group that is responding is also perplexed by this.

With just a little bit of research it appears there are a series of inter-connected websites that all link to each other about Auto Thefts and they are pushing this story and linking to products to either Lock or Re-Locate the OBDII port. Whether the stories are true or fake they appear to have caught the attention of whatever this Insurance company is.

Back