2014 i3 Losing 3G capability

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentonav8r

Received a message telling me that 3G connectivity will be lost in my 2014 i3 Rex in February 2022. Contacted BMW and also an aftermarket company and both told me you just can't change a sim card in the car like on a phone. Connectivity is built into the carbon fiber of the car so i was told there is no way to update the 2014 model. My car will be paid off by December 2022, so I hope to upgrade to another used i3, hopefully a 2019 or 2020 then. Losing the 3G connectivity will surely affect my selling price or trade-in value. Thanks, BMW! Not!

rentonav8r said:
Received a message telling me that 3G connectivity will be lost in my 2014 i3 Rex in February 2022. Contacted BMW and also an aftermarket company and both told me you just can't change a sim card in the car like on a phone. Connectivity is built into the carbon fiber of the car so i was told there is no way to update the 2014 model.

Who told you it was "built into the carbon fiber of the car"?

The 4G Telematics box is exactly the same size as the old one and can be substituted. BUT it needs to be programmed to the car, and then the SIM card inside needs to be activated or registered with BMW. The only owner I have ever read about replacing one had it done under warranty but the "retail" cost of the parts/install/programming was around $1500.

That must be a corollary to BMW's old tag line, "Sheer Driving Pleasure is in our DNA."

Back