Routine re-gas of aircon?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkH

I have just dropped my 2016 BEV i3 into the garage to have an annual service check. It's just done 50,000 kms.

They informed me that it should have a complete recharge of the aircon system "because the aircon is used to cool the battery and if you don't, then the battery could overheat and catch fire"

When questioned, they said that this recharging should be done each year.

This is the first time I have read or heard such a claim. The cost is $600 each time.

I imagine it wouldn't matter whether it's a BEV or a REX.

Any comments? What do others do? Is this just a "make-work" scheme?

Well, I don't mind "topping up" if it is needed - but they suggested that a recharge is needed routinely.
Has anyone else heard of this requirement?

I wonder if there is some test that can be done to ascertain whether a recharge is called for?

MarkH said:
When questioned, they said that this recharging should be done each year.
If it really needed to be done, BMW would include it in the routine maintenance or design the i3's software to set a service reminder just for this task. I've never heard this requirement for any vehicle, certainly none that I have owned. The refrigerant shouldn't ever need replacing unless work is done on the A/C or heat pump system requiring the refrigerant to be evacuated from the system. If the A/C system leaks, you might need to add refrigerant to bring the system up to the correct pressure, but the leak should be fixed to avoid leaking any more heat-trapping refrigerant into the atmosphere.

I think a rip-off attempt is occurring.

If it really needed to be done, BMW would include it in the routine maintenance
True.
Where would one find a copy of BMW's schedule of routine maintenance for a BEV i3?
I have not been able to track one down.

There is a list in this document - basically a bunch of visual inspection - new brake fluid every 2 years (which is nor really needed) - and an oil change for the REX.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+i3+mandatory+maintenance&newwindow=1&ei=TwW2YP7FBof5kwWB0YywCA&oq=bmw+i3+mandatory+&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIFCCEQoAEyBQghEKABOgIIADoGCAAQFhAeOgQIABATOggIABAWEB4QE1ClpQZYqrMGYPXEBmgAcAJ4AIAB6AaIAasWkgENMS42LjIuMC4xLjAuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Where would one find a copy of BMW's schedule of routine maintenance

Car should have come with a Warranty and Maintenance booklet. Lists all the scheduled, and routine maintenance the Dealer does on around page 5. If the booklet is missing, it can be downloaded as a pdf from BMW. Recharging the AC is NOT a maintenance item. Total rip-off. I'd find another Dealer. If they will lie to you about this, what else will they lie about???

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-value/bmw-ultimate-service/service-and-warranty-books.html

If you are really concerned about your AC, take it to a reputable Auto AC service shop, and have them check the system pressure. Access to the AC service connections are in the frunk:
https://www.hella.com/techworld/us/bi/BMW-i3-Service-connections-for-air-conditioning-system-10550/

Ya, sounds like a rip off! Is you air conditioner working? Even if it was not, I believe it would shut down with an error message rather than burst into flames.

Yeah - A/C is working fine.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I have saved those very useful links.
Will not be using the garage again: while wanting to recharge the A/C they completely omitted the replacement of the cabin micro-filters :(
I might try to replace those, myself.
What a helpful forum :)

:D Yeah, definitely cross that Dealer off your list. Am willing to bet money that if you went along with their $600 AC recharge, it would have been what's known in the biz as 'sunshine service', ie - the Dealer takes in the car, parks it on the back lot in the sun for the day, then returns it to the customer, and bills them for service that was never performed. They KNOW that the AC doesn't need to be recharged once a year, afterall.

If you need a yearly recharge, you system is leaking (failed) and needs to be repaired.

Aka, no.

stoverix said:
I have my car's aircon system recharged once a year, and the reason for that is that dust accumulates there and coolants end.

The AC system is completely sealed on the refrigerant side. 100% sealed. Dust has zero chance of getting in. The forced air side blows through the heat exchanger, and dust might effect that airflow path, but it can never get inside the refrigerant path. The only reason to recharge an AC unit is if the referent is low, or some item in-line with the refrigerant flow needs repair. An annual check of the system is fine, but an annual recharge is a fraudulent ripoff that should be reported to your state attorney general.

Are electric compressors (like in the i3) less likely to leak refrigerant ?
I thought I read this somewhere.
Also will the presence of flexible hoses always cause some leakage over many years?
It seems that when the compressor does fail, the repair bill can be enormous if the entire battery cooling circuit gets contaminated.
So is there some 'low refrigerant pressure' warning (e.g. from ISTA+) ?
A/C is more than just some comfort accessory in this car

Back