Hardwiring dashcam: ground terminal?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPoly

I would like to hardwire my dashcam with parking mode. I believe there are switched, and constant power sources in the passenger footwell fusebox.

Is there a good grounding location?

Put your head down low in the foot-well and look up above the fuse-box. There is a single Torx screw which makes a great grounding point. There is also a ground point behind a panel in the foot-well I think - haven't figured out quite where. It is shown in a diagram for installing the BMW dash camera.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2024296

Isn't there a dashcam out there that doesn't require any wiring? Rechargeable? The wiring or wires being all over the the place is the main reason why I've not gotten one yet.

MKH said:
Put your head down low in the foot-well and look up above the fuse-box. There is a single Torx screw which makes a great grounding point. There is also a ground point behind a panel in the foot-well I think - haven't figured out quite where. It is shown in a diagram for installing the BMW dash camera.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2024296

Thanks for that ! Didn't realize they had such a thorough manual.

I used my multimeter and found that the post for the twist screws that hold the fusebox in place is an adequate ground. We'll see how this works out over time.

Isn't there a dashcam out there that doesn't require any wiring? Rechargeable? The wiring or wires being all over the the place is the main reason why I've not gotten one yet.

Nope.

Not enough battery life with current tech. For example - a small GoPro (battery) camera used extensively by outdoor enthusiasts, set for wide angle and high res would film for about 20 minutes before needing a recharge.

The grounding point that I chose did not work well. It kept losing the connection even after securing it with tape.

Here is that grounding point mentioned by Mark in post #2.
I had to slightly pop out the black panel to get the screwdriver at the torx screw. Works great!

jIQxUPu.jpg

I was able to tap into the wiring harness in the rear-view mirror shroud for switched +12V and GND. Enlarged one of the vent holes at the bottom of the shroud to bring out the USB cable. No need to route the cable all the way to the fuse box!

mrken said:
I was able to tap into the wiring harness in the rear-view mirror shroud for switched +12V and GND. Enlarged one of the vent holes at the bottom of the shroud to bring out the USB cable. No need to route the cable all the way to the fuse box!

This sounds pretty good! Could you please explain how you managed this? Would be a great help!
I am trying to prepare to install the new Advanced Car Eye 3.0 Pro into my i3s, but there is no installation manual at all for this case.
I hope I am right, that the red cable is the plus-cable and the yellow for minus.

Back