i3 with no keys

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joff

What does it take to get a i3 sold with no keys running again? I imagine there is some module that needs to be replaced that perhaps comes with a key. If that module has to be coded to the car, can you do that through ista or do you need that magic BMW test box equipment that costs something like $11k?

Get a BMW Dealer to order a key for you once you provide proof of ownership?

What Evenston said.

There is no 'module' to replace, unlike in some Detroit built cars/trucks, where you can easily swap out the ignition control module, complete with new keys (car/truck thieves love this Detroit-built feature). The i3 instead has something like ten key codes, tagged to the VIN, hard-coded in the car's main ECM at the factory. The Dealer can order you new keys from the factory, that will use one or two of the unassigned key codes, and provide the new programmed keys if you supply them with the VIN and proof of ownership. You might also have them de-activate the two key codes for the missing keys so they can't be used to start the car. (New keys won't be cheap - expect them to be in the $500/$600 range - but there is no other way to get them).

Also- I just read an anecdote from someone who apparently worked for BMW who stated that when they get the new key(s) and do the activation/programming they need ALL the keys there at the same time and any keys not present will be de-activated by default for security reasons.

I mention this in case they try to charge you to "de-activate" the old key fobs as they will apparently be de-activated anyways and you can save a few bucks. If anyone has experienced anything contrary to this that would be great to know as I doubt the Service Dept is going to tell you "Oh you don't have to bother with that, save yourself some money!"

Thanks so much! I have heard it was some big expensive problem if you lost your last key, so I have always made sure I have two. I see keyless salvage cars come up for sale every so often and have avoided considering them. I wonder if dealerships have any issue providing keys for salvage title cars. I guess they are the one to ask.

Back