Adjusting low-beam headlights

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffj

Does anyone know if the low-beam headlights can be adjusted up or down? I know they are "adaptive", in that they move up and down based on the angle of the car (e.g. going up a hill or down a hill). I find that at the neutral point, however, they are pointed just a bit too low. I'd like to adjust the neutral point up a couple of degrees.

Jeff

As far as I understand, the LED headlights in the US are not adaptive and they do NOT adjust either up and down, or side to side. Does anyone have any additional information?

Shrink13 said:
As far as I understand, the LED headlights in the US are not adaptive and they do NOT adjust either up and down, or side to side. Does anyone have any additional information?

I can see my headlights doing some sort of adjustment, aiming downward and then rotating up to their final position every time the headlights turn on at night. I have the headlight switch in the automatic position if this has anything to do with it, and I see them do this every night when I start the car to head home from work as I see the reflection in a window in front of the car.

I also noticed that they seem to point a bit low as well and raising them slightly might be beneficial, but I'll have to keep looking at this to be sure.

Mine go up and down. I have been stopped behind a vehicle on a hill and have seen them self adjust.

headlight%20adjustment.png

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for. All I want to do is tweak the adjustment screw so that the "neutral" position of the low beams is slightly higher than what it is now. Don't want to mess with the auto leveling function in any way.

I'll probably play around with this a bit this weekend to see if I can get the headlights where I want them.

Jeffj said:
I'll probably play around with this a bit this weekend to see if I can get the headlights where I want them.
I was under the impression that light height is mandated by law and should only be set if it's wrong? Why don't you go to the dealer and have them fix it if it _actually_is_ broken?

Is the adjustment procedure the same for both versions of headlights? In the USA, I think the LEDs are standard, but I'm not sure that is the case elsewhere.

Shrink13 said:

The headlights definitely are self-leveling. I park indoors and keep the headlights on automatic so I see the beams adjust each morning. It's logical because ECE Regulation 48 requires the self-leveling feature for systems producing more than 2,000 lumens. Even though the rule doesn't apply here, it wouldn't make sense for BMW to engineer a unique system just for our market.

And while the units may not swivel to match the steering angle of the front wheels, they still qualify as adaptive because the light pattern varies depending on vehicle speed and which side of the road traffic flow is on (based on GPS I'm guessing). Remember, adaptive means changing to meet conditions, not simply turning side-to-side.

Thanks again to Jelloslug for posting the picture. Adjusted the lights this evening and everything was super simple.

Backed into the garage, closed the door and left the car on. Marked where the top of the lights were with a couple pieces of tape. Popped the frunk, pulled up the velcro'd side panels and the adjustment screws were right there staring at me. Quick turn with a philips while watching what the lights did on the garage door and moved them up 2 complete turns (did both sides equivalently). Took a quick drive on my street and decided they were too high. Back into garage, repeat the steps above but go back by one turn. WEnt our for test drive and they are great now. They don't shine above the midline on the car in front of me, so hey aren't blinding, but the slight adjustment upwards makes a huge difference.

Probably the easiest adjustment of lights that I've ever done.

Jeff

Jeffj said:
Thanks again to Jelloslug for posting the picture. Adjusted the lights this evening and everything was super simple.

Backed into the garage, closed the door and left the car on. Marked where the top of the lights were with a couple pieces of tape. Popped the frunk, pulled up the velcro'd side panels and the adjustment screws were right there staring at me. Quick turn with a philips while watching what the lights did on the garage door and moved them up 2 complete turns (did both sides equivalently). Took a quick drive on my street and decided they were too high. Back into garage, repeat the steps above but go back by one turn. WEnt our for test drive and they are great now. They don't shine above the midline on the car in front of me, so hey aren't blinding, but the slight adjustment upwards makes a huge difference.

Probably the easiest adjustment of lights that I've ever done.

Jeff
this is good to know, I feel the same that they are just a little low. Will move them up a turn

Thanks, mine are way low too, will adjust accordingly. Dealers should level every car coming in, but I think they get lazy and don't touch them unless you ask.

It looks like if you measured 25' from the lamp to your projection screen, drew a horizontal line at the centerline height of the lamp assembly, the upper edge must be within +/- 4" of that height. It's kind of hard to read through all of the verbiage to narrow it down to a simple value.

If someone has distilled the requirements, it would be nice to see a simplified go/no-go, so you'd know if you were within the legal limits or not.

Back