Lug bolt torque settings

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have searched here, in the manual, and the interweb with no luck. i have found every other BMW specs ranging from 85 ft-lbs to 100 ft-lbs. What does BMW specify to torque the lug bolts in ft-lbs or newtons?

I had the same question and could not find it anywhere. I decided to email the iConcierge and they replied with 103 lb ft. I emailed them because my service department was not sure.

Thank you for contacting BMW i Concierge.

The lug nut torque setting for the BMW i3 Tera World with 19" wheels is 140 Newton Meters.

The BMW i Concierge team is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-855-236-1025

That is very interesting. I talked to tech support which transferred me to parts. They did not have an answer so they called me back after they talked to a technician.

When I called my service manager, he looked it up and got back to me with 85ftpd. He's one of the i3 certified techs in the shop and is getting an i3 when his current lease expires, so he tries to stay up on things.

websterize said:
What does the service manual say? Everything else is speculation.

I updated my post - service manual confirms the answer from the concierge above. Still seems too high for that size bolt, though.

Time to go back outside and re-torque the bolts for the third time.
Why cant they include this information in the manual that comes with the car?

Thanks everyone for the information.

elasticpurejoy said:
Why cant they include this information in the manual that comes with the car?
Because the manual is the crappiest of any car that I have owned, and because BMW apparently doesn't want to provide its owners with enough information to be able to do any work on their cars. The i3 is my first BMW, and I am very disappointed by these things.

80hKNmJ.jpg

Back