Activating LIM button in i3s

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterize

10933833_10152982128168903_747114733001038633_n.jpg

Photo by George Betak, via Facebook i3 group

This setting looks intriguing, and it appears to be operable in the i3.

The "Speed Limiter" is controlled by the LIM button (labeled "SET" in NA), is an independent option, and if activated, it overrides/deactivates the Cruise Control holding speed. When activated you cannot accelerate past the set speed. Think of it this way; CC sets the minimum speed at which you want to travel, LIM sets the maximum. If you do a lot of city driving, I bet you will end up using the LIM function even more that CC.

attachment.php

— Source: Bimmerfest user "JEG23"

Has anyone coded this in the i3?

We have this on our Citroen, and I agree it is better than CC in traffic, especially when there are speed cameras around.
on the Citroen (C4 Picasso) it is a toggle between LIM and Cruise. Like the limit in EcoPro+ if you floor the pedal you can go past the limit.

BMW should make this a standard feature. Once you have used it, you will miss it on cars without it.

I have used this feature on many cars while vacationing in Europe. It is great. I hope somebody can figure out how to code this.

websterize said:

If you do a lot of city driving, I bet you will end up using the LIM function even more that CC.
Are you making a distinction between CC and ACC? If not, please educate me about why using LIM would be better in traffic than ACC. I drive in traffic almost exclusively with ACC on and can't imagine how LIM would be an improvement.

jelloslug said:
You can set it in Ecopro and Ecopro + modes.
I wonder if this isn't different than those 50 mph-80 mph (ECO PRO) and 56 mph (ECO PRO+) governors.

Perhaps selecting SET on the steering wheel in either of those modes will activate LIM on the display. I suspect not, but will give it a shot.

alohart said:
websterize said:

If you do a lot of city driving, I bet you will end up using the LIM function even more that CC.
Are you making a distinction between CC and ACC? If not, please educate me about why using LIM would be better in traffic than ACC. I drive in traffic almost exclusively with ACC on and can't imagine how LIM would be an improvement.

Probably depends on driving style, the traffic, and the length of your trips. Using LIM is a great way to use the car however you like but keep within the speed limits. With fixed speed cameras all over the place, it's too easy to accidentally find yourself over the speed limit in the wrong place.

I generally prefer to control the pedal myself unless the traffic is congested or I'm in an area with a lot of speed cameras.

Very slightly off topic, but:
The GPS is pretty good at picking up and showing the speed limit in real time, so it can presumably look ahead a few seconds and anticipate when the speed limit is about to change (either up or down), so maybe future updates could have an ACC feature of "Drive at the speed limit, up to a max of X mph."

websterize said:
Interesting — and it works at city speeds (<50 mph) in your U.S.-spec i3?

UK spec i3 here. Will have a proper play with it and let you know.

While Im here, I'm trying to activate the speed limit icon in the instrument panel display. How can I do that or must it be coded?

websterize said:
In the U.S. models, the toggle is under Settings > Instrument cluster display > Speed limit information.

Can't find this setting here in my UK i3.
Anyone found out how to do it or code it?

Exasperatingly, I can't find the setting for Limit either in my UK Rex car. :cry:
There isn't a speed limit setting under Settings/Instrument Cluster/Speed limit.
There is a maddening possibility in Settings/Speed/Select current speed as Limit.
But I couldn't select it on one of the soft buttons, so, crazily, we might only be able to select it by clicking through several screens while on the move! :eek:

FrancisJeffries said:
Exasperatingly, I can't find the setting for Limit either in my UK Rex car. :cry:
There isn't a speed limit setting under Settings/Instrument Cluster/Speed limit.
There is a maddening possibility in Settings/Speed/Select current speed as Limit.
But I couldn't select it on one of the soft buttons, so, crazily, we might only be able to select it by clicking through several screens while on the move! :eek:

Yes that's how I use it. Haven't yet found another way to do the same thing.

In my other post, when I talked about speed limit information, I was talking about the speed limit icons - 30mph - 60/70. These icons resembling road signs with the limit shown, pop up whilst driving i3's in Europe and USA.

Why can't we have the same in the UK i3 ?

Speed limiter is there for Eco Pro/ Eco Pro+ to increase the range, there is no real speed limiter - though obviously the software could do it.

The road-sign reading is part of the Driving Assistant Plus - and actually reads the road signs using forward facing camera.

you can always use one of the preset buttons to bring up the speed limit screen saves fiddling with the i-drive while on the move.

To get the car to recognize the speed limit signs and display them, you have to have certain options on the car (it requires the camera), and if you do not have that, you will not see them as an option. Now, if you DO have the camera, it's probably available by coding, if you want to dive into things that deep. It does NOT use a database in the nav system to display the speed limit info like some aftermarket ones do - it literally recognizes them, and changes the icon.

alohart said:
… I drive in traffic almost exclusively with ACC on and can't imagine how LIM would be an improvement.
The ACC works as low as 20 mph, which I didn't realize before starting this thread. Never having driven a car with a LIM button, it seems as if i3s with ACC already have this function?

Still trying to wrap my head around it …

Back