DC Retro-fit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noakey

Hi all..

I know this one has been asked before a while ago, but there is a hugely increasing demand for DC retrofit and was wondering if anyone knew of a change of heart from BMW?

Many of us ordered our i3s when there was no sign of a fast charge network and hence could not warrent the cost of DC rapid charge; however since there has been a great deal of investment and now,even in the UK courtyside I have 5 DC chargers in range.

Any info would be great...

Thank you all

(10 months ownership and 14500miles on the clock.. still smiling)

A retrofit should be possible, but the cost would be likely be prohibitive vs trading your car and picking up another one. The new connector, plus the different KLE (different part for DCFC equipped cars), plus the other less costly parts would add up to a significant amount, especially with labor.

The situation with new locations popping up so quickly near you is is a good example of why some of us have been suggesting that DCFC is a must have feature, at least on a BEV (whether it's an i3 or some other model).

noakey said:
I agree the DC should be fitted on a non-feature upgraded i3.
The USA BMW branch made that decision...all 2015 i3's have the DC fast charge as standard. It is entirely up to the local BMW country branch which options or features that they want included in the vehicles they import.

FWIW, I have it on mine, but there are no CCS units within range! I'm hoping some will pop up as BMW-VW have announced a joint thing in the USA to start to install some along some of the more highly traveled routes...but, I don't get over to the nearest one on a normal basis. IF they get installed, rather than taking my ICE, I could consider the i3 for that (rare) trip.

d0bbeaf8b14a37c714ad3d295378508c.jpg

i wish i could add it too

Anything is possible with enough money. Most likely it would cost less to sell or trade your vehicle and get an i3 with DCFC.

Early adopters typically pay the ultimate price for emerging technology.

Back