THIS CAR SUCKS! - HAD IT 10 MONTHS, JUST GOT 42 MILES!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epirali

DSMLVNV said:
RIDICULOUS! 42 MILES ON A FULL CHARGE!

How did you manage that? I'd say that is almost impossible no matter how you drive. 70 miles is pretty typical with normal driving.

DSMLVNV said:

Wow how do you get mileage that bad especially in the summer? Incredible. I just did a trip today, 90Deg F, 94 miles on a charge with 85 miles highway at about 60 mph ave. One passenger.

Have you checked your battery capacity? Something must be wrong.

I think if you drive flat out (like on a racetrack) then you could see pretty low mileage per charge. Normal driving and traffic makes that pretty hard, but a committed lead foot might achieve it.

I reckon getting 42 miles is entirely possible - however ENGAGING WITH A SHOUTY OP AND THIER THREAD will likely be unproductive.

Walk away from the screaming click bait ....

:)

60502d1187893024-girls-pittsburg-must-hottttttt-troll_m3.jpg

Why am I not just stepping away?
The problem with forums.

That's it I promise - please, no one else come back.

Sparky said:
Quick back away from the screamer.........smells like worst steering guy. :roll:

No no it really doesn't. The other thread had clear and detailed explanation of concern. This does not. Don't just lump everything you don't like in the same bucket.

WoodlandHills said:
What a bogus post: everyone knows from reading this forum that the i3 is a perfect vehicle and it's only problem is that stupid buyers were too lazy to properly research it. Oh, and they are unskilled drivers who just may be paid company shills too. Just like this guy, probably.......

Well to be fair, some of us do list clear and concise issues and arguments for things we see, this post is really just an all caps SHOUT of a claim that seems not in line with experience and with absolutely no information, discussion or back up.

And I say that as one of the lazy unskilled paid company shills (I just wish I knew where my checks were being sent to, I am not getting them!).

:D :lol: :D

OK Everyone:

Time for a reality check for some of you...I am, in fact, not a screamer, but rather a very upset consumer who was in a terrible mood when finishing up the 42 mile range I received. I lashed out in my title, yes; But let's get real and talk about performance now.

I live in Las Vegas - Not exactly a prime spot for such a vehicle. Is it hot here now? Yes, but during this latest 42 mile range, it hasn't been that bad - Average 100 degrees during the day.

I work from home. This latest range was achieved with no highway driving. Just quick 1-4 mile drives to and from shopping, restaurants, and so on.

I have a Clipper Creek charger, and I've owned the car for approximately 11 months.

I've never done better than a 70 mile charge. This Summer it's been well under 60 most of the time.

Now, any helpful feedback you have would be appreciated...

Lastly, anyone who's going to try to convince me that this is the "Perfect car" need not reply. BMW scammed us promoting 100 miles originally. 60 or so is a joke...Be honest..

DSMLVNV said:
OK Everyone:

Time for a reality check for some of you...I am, in fact, not a screamer, but rather a very upset consumer who was in a terrible mood when finishing up the 42 mile range I received. I lashed out in my title, yes; But let's get real and talk about performance now.

I live in Las Vegas - Not exactly a prime spot for such a vehicle. Is it hot here now? Yes, but during this latest 42 mile range, it hasn't been that bad - Average 100 degrees during the day.

I work from home. This latest range was achieved with no highway driving. Just quick 1-4 mile drives to and from shopping, restaurants, and so on.

I have a Clipper Creek charger, and I've owned the car for approximately 11 months.

I've never done better than a 70 mile charge. This Summer it's been well under 60 most of the time.

Now, any helpful feedback you have would be appreciated...

Lastly, anyone who's going to try to convince me that this is the "Perfect car" need not reply. BMW scammed us promoting 100 miles originally. 60 or so is a joke...Be honest..

Sorry if the assumption about original post was wrong. Apologies.

A few questions:

1) Is this with AC running for the trips?

2) Any preconditioning? If yes with or without L2 charger plugged in?

3) Is it hot enough that the battery management may have been trying to cool the system?

4) Do you reset the your trip information and have any readout about what kind of miles/KWHr you got on the trip?

5) And I know this is obvious but just for clarity did the car manage to charge to full 100%?

And honestly if you are doing low speed driving without load of AC and only getting 40 miles something is definitely wrong. With low speed city driving getting 4.5 miles/KWHr is pretty easy with some care and that would get you easily into the 80+ mile range.

Sorry if the assumption about original post was wrong. Apologies.

A few questions:

1) Is this with AC running for the trips?

2) Any preconditioning? If yes with or without L2 charger plugged in?

3) Is it hot enough that the battery management may have been trying to cool the system?

4) Do you reset the your trip information and have any readout about what kind of miles/KWHr you got on the trip?

5) And I know this is obvious but just for clarity did the car manage to charge to full 100%?

And honestly if you are doing low speed driving without load of AC and only getting 40 miles something is definitely wrong. With low speed city driving getting 4.5 miles/KWHr is pretty easy with some care and that would get you easily into the 80+ mile range.

I have A/C on full blast at almost all times. (I don't feel this should be an issue - Not to mention I did better last Summer with the same A/C setup)

I never pre-condition

Yes it was definitely charged to 100%

I'm always around 3.9

I doubt it to your Question # 3

DSMLVNV said:
I have A/C on full blast at almost all times. (I don't feel this should be an issue - Not to mention I did better last Summer with the same A/C setup)

I never pre-condition

Yes it was definitely charged to 100%

I'm always around 3.9

I doubt it to your Question # 3

I definitely see a hit in the AC running on full blast, but obviously comfort is king!

If you are around 3.9 then you still should be hitting 70 miles. But I have not yet figured out whether the AC load is included or excluded in the calculated/reported mileage efficiency.

DSMLVNV said:
Lastly, anyone who's going to try to convince me that this is the "Perfect car" need not reply. BMW scammed us promoting 100 miles originally. 60 or so is a joke...Be honest..[/quote

I didn't see that you were new here, my sarcastic post was just summarizing the views of those here who have drunk the cool-aide and been blinded by the light. Stay here a while and you will see what I mean....... ;)

DSMLVNV said:

After reading all the discussion up to woodland hills on page 2, you to check your battery capacity on the hidden menu.

I can't figure a lot of the mileage efficiencies posted on here. I averaged 4.7 mi/kwh yesterday at highway speeds (60 mph state routes) and with the AC on due to 90 deg f plus high humidity. I did 92 miles with 11 miles left on electric, but used 9 miles on Rex. So I did 94 miles on all electric and today on recharge it estimated my range at 107 miles electric.

At 3.9 miles/kwh you should be getting at least 74 miles on the batteries. You need to check your battery capacity in the hidden menu!

Where is the car parked at each end of your short trips? In the sun or under cover?

If the car is hot due to being in the sun on hot days, the A/C load will be high and the battery temp management will be working hard as well. Preconditioning on your EVSE would help.

It does not matter where you park or if you precondition: 42 miles of range on a full charge in the summer is unacceptable. Hell, it is unacceptable in the dead of winter IMHO! You should not have to jump through hoops or drive in a hot stuffy car to get a minimum of 60 miles out of a self-proclaimed 80 mile EV.

WoodlandHills said:
It does not matter where you park or if you precondition: 42 miles of range on a full charge in the summer is unacceptable. Hell, it is unacceptable in the dead of winter IMHO! You should not have to jump through hoops or drive in a hot stuffy car to get a minimum of 60 miles out of a self-proclaimed 80 mile EV.

amen could not have said it any better!

If I read the OP correctly, this is the result of numerous 1-4 mile trips. Each time, heat soaking in the sun, requiring a significant energy use to cool the car back off again without preconditioning or intermediate charging attempts. It's about what I'd expect at over 100-degrees F and maybe as many as 10 cool-downs from sweltering after sitting. Not only will the car have to cool the interior to help keep you sane, it will be cooling the battery pack off as well. Take ANY car and do numerous short hops where it can reach ambient in between and it will NOWHERE near get the EPA listed mileage.

Preconditioning at home prior to the first departure would make that trip much more comfortable, and save a bunch of battery capacity. Even telling the car to maintain conditioning while going into the store for a short errand would probably as well. Dry, hot air at altitude has very little to block IR, and with the large windows, the car WILL get hot quickly...maintaining it is much more efficient than trying to cool it off over and over again.

How much range was left after that 42-miles? Keep in mind that the estimated range factor is for the last 18-miles traveled, and if it contained lots of 'cold' starts, it could be way off. Where the bar graph, or if you have the latest firmware, what percentage of power was left is a better indication of how far you could go, especially if your driving task differs.

It's been over 90 here the last few days, and I'm still seeing 70-80 miles on my mostly short trips. A/c is very useful when it is also quite humid to be comfortable. That latent heat makes the a/c work harder than a higher, drier temp might.

How did you determine that you only had 42 miles of range? Without a defective high voltage battery, you can't average 3.9mi/kWh AND only get 42 miles of range - assuming you're not doing something else to drain the battery, like sitting in the car with the a/c running for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back