Build Quality - poor? DANGEROUS?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoMW

Well yesterday I had quite a disturbing incident driving the i3. My passenger alerted me to the suicide door possibly being open. I checked the dash but no warning was showing however I was aware of road and considerable wind noise. Having stopped I checked the outside and was shocked to see the window leaning out with a 1 inch gap. It was only held in by the bottom rubber seal and I'm positive that once I'd hit the freeway it would have completely fallen away.
I could see that the adhesive had completely failed on the suicide door pillar. I was also surprised to see how little adhesive was used, two 1 inch square patches.
My i3 had not been used for a week and no pressure was ever exerted on this window so I'm at loggerheads as to why it detached.

I've become extremely disappointed with the so called BMW build quality which is more reminiscent of a plastic, air fix model kit. God forbid the possibility of this failure occurring with a child in the back.

With a child in the back, the window would fall off the car, not onto the child.

The risk would be for a flying piece of glass outside the car. That's not good for other road users, but apart from a blast of wind, the child will survive.

What did your dealer say? Did you check the other side, is it ok?

I33t said:
With a child in the back, the window would fall off the car, not onto the child.

The risk would be for a flying piece of glass outside the car. That's not good for other road users, but apart from a blast of wind, the child will survive.

What did your dealer say? Did you check the other side, is it ok?

Unless the child fell out after........ I realize the little ones will be strapped onto a baby seat, but things happen. More likely would be a dog pushing against the glass and falling through onto the roadway......

As I have said before: BMW are having trouble building quality into the i3. There are many reports here and on FB of just this sort of assembly issues happening seemingly at random. This is our first BMW, so I don't know if the ICE cars have the same troubles.

WoodlandHills said:
I33t said:
As I have said before: BMW are having trouble building quality into the i3. There are many reports here and on FB of just this sort of assembly issues happening seemingly at random.

I think that's a crass generalisation, but what you think is up to you. There is also the possibility that someone attempted to break into the car by lifting off the window. There are many possibilities.

I'm sorry to hear that someone has had the trouble of a window glass coming loose, but unless we see a large pattern emerging on a forum such as this, I think it's unfair to say that there are large manufacturing issues.

To people who are looking to purchase or lease an i3, all I can say is that they should look at the car closely, test drive at length, research and then make up their own mind.

Not everything you read on here is reliable, whether it is extremely good or atrociously bad.

I have photos to display but not sure of the procedure.
I visited the dealer and he suggested a new window should be ordered because the window comes with the mounts pre-bonded, they were reluctant to re glue the original window back.

Security is something of great concern to me, I only use the i3 for business and carry expensive equipment so the thought that the window can just peel off, or that someone can prise it away with a wooden spatula is very worrying.

First I HAVE to say that some of the posts that are attempts at humor or trying to embarrass others here are just pointless. What is it about posting on a forum that makes people lose basic day to day civility? I don't get it.

Second (and the real reason for the post): as much as I am not a big fan of the i3 I have to say at least mine has one of the highest build qualities (in fit and finish, lack of issues, etc) I've had. Pretty much in line with most Audis and other BMWs. And considering how much of the parts/techniques are new to the car that is actually somewhat impressive.

I can only imagine there are your basic first production run refinements that will happen as time goes. And mine is a 2014 not a 2015, so I can only guess there have been minor tweaks in later builds.

epirali said:
What is it about posting on a forum that makes people lose basic day to day civility? I don't get it.
Maybe the same thing that makes someone represent a perfectly acceptable design choice, that happens to go against their preference, as something that's "dangerous".

On the other hand, this thread is discussing a legitimate issue with one car - I hope it's an easy fix.

i3atl said:
epirali said:
What is it about posting on a forum that makes people lose basic day to day civility? I don't get it.
Maybe the same thing that makes someone represent a perfectly acceptable design choice, that happens to go against their preference, as something that's "dangerous".

On the other hand, this thread is discussing a legitimate issue with one car - I hope it's an easy fix.

+1

If people buy a car without doing adequate research, test drives, etc., and land up with something they don't like, it's not the fault of the manufacturer.

But if the car they buy has a window failure, that's probably a manufacturing fault and if so, should be corrected under warranty.

i3atl said:
epirali said:

That is exactly my point. Whether a post is "legitimate enough" in the readers eyes doesn't make inappropriate responses acceptable. Mockery in person always has consequences, yet in forums people suddenly forget basic civility. There is a world of difference between strongly disagreeing with someone and thinking that reversion to grade school behavior is ok.

Two days ago, Tuesday, my i3 was taken to my nearest dealer to have the suicide door window replaced. within an hour of dropping the car off, I was informed that the car needs to be taken to another dealer (35 miles away) to have numerous updates, sunroof was mentioned together with consumer electrics and I wouldn't have the car back for at least a week.
Not really sure what the deal is here but having been given a courtesy i3 to use, I'm not really worried.
Which brings me to my observations of the courtesy car. I have immediately noticed a firmer steering feel, slightly more friction in the movement which feels superior quality. I am also convinced that the steering wheel itself is thicker. With large hands I have often criticised the thin feel of my steering wheel, but this is definitely thicker. Furthermore I think I'm getting a better range, ok the courtesy car is practically brand new with 600 miles as opposed to my i3 which has 27000! Can my batteries already be deteriorating?

I am very keen to receive my car next week to check out the "updates".

it maybe that the range will adjust to your norm as you drive it further? Will be interesting to hear what happens after a week or so.

Different trim packages have different steering wheels, so that may be the difference in that, but would have nothing to do with friction or other driving characteristics.

Within two hours of dropping the i3 at the dealer, I received a call telling me that there were considerable upgrade and updates for my i3 and the car would have to be kept behind but would need to be taken to a dealer in Leicester. When I asked what sort of updates, the sunroof was mentioned and consumer electrics......what ever that means.

I know that the i3 was transported to Leicester on the 4th September but as yet I have no news about my window or "upgrades".

psquare said:
WoodlandHills said:
I33t said:
As I have said before: BMW are having trouble building quality into the i3. There are many reports here and on FB of just this sort of assembly issues happening seemingly at random.

I think that's a crass generalisation, but what you think is up to you. There is also the possibility that someone attempted to break into the car by lifting off the window. There are many possibilities.

I'm sorry to hear that someone has had the trouble of a window glass coming loose, but unless we see a large pattern emerging on a forum such as this, I think it's unfair to say that there are large manufacturing issues.

To people who are looking to purchase or lease an i3, all I can say is that they should look at the car closely, test drive at length, research and then make up their own mind.

Not everything you read on here is reliable, whether it is extremely good or atrociously bad.

+1

I agree, people also forget that quite a few of these cars have sold. Its very common especially among tech savvy i3 buyers to use forums to express their concerns or ask advised about their i3 issues. There are not many active forums for them to frequent. Even if there were 20 reports in this forum about build quality it would hardly be a big enough number to make any real determinations on a real trend with BMW quality. This i3 is our first BMW and so far we love it.

Back