Anyone had to replace any plastic body panels yet?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly10

As above, if so which panels where replaced and what was the cost? Heard they wont cost that much but I'm not buying that!

Asking as I expect to be replacing a few before the end of the lease due to the missus's driving...

philly10 said:
As above, if so which panels where replaced and what was the cost? Heard they wont cost that much but I'm not buying that!

Asking as I expect to be replacing a few before the end of the lease due to the missus's driving...
The list prices for the panels look to be comparable (or less) to other BMW cars, painting should be the similar, but where you will see the big difference is in installation. Since none of them are welded replacing them is almost simple.

jelloslug said:
philly10 said:

The list prices for the panels look to be comparable (or less) to other BMW cars, painting should be the similar, but where you will see the big difference is in installation. Since none of them are welded replacing them is almost simple.

Yeah seen the process of fitting...seems pretty straight forward. Hopefully she'll be ok, but I'll put a little slush fund aside anyhow just in case.

Have replaced a couple door skins at work, go for around $100 without painting, and labor is not bad at all-I believe it was around 3 hours? :)

I'm about to have one white cover on the front left pillar replaced. I wasn't happy with the fit after the installation of my new front screen. I'll report back once this has been done, but not sure whether I'll see the price, as it is a FOC fix by the dealership. Apparently the clips underneath are missing, which attach the cover to the CFRP body.

I had an issue with the charging plug, and they had to replace it...that required removing the fender. I see no issues with the change, so the process seems straightforward.

FWIW, while the paint may be damaged, it would take a fairly nasty situation to break a fender or door skin. I suppose you could punch a hole in one of them, but they do bounce back from most smaller incidents (paint, not included!).

jadnashuanh said:
I had an issue with the charging plug, and they had to replace it...that required removing the fender. I see no issues with the change, so the process seems straightforward.

FWIW, while the paint may be damaged, it would take a fairly nasty situation to break a fender or door skin. I suppose you could punch a hole in one of them, but they do bounce back from most smaller incidents (paint, not included!).

Its the glass panel on the boot hatch that worries me....it all worries me TBH, but that's what insurance is for.

philly10 said:
jadnashuanh said:

Its the glass panel on the boot hatch that worries me....it all worries me TBH, but that's what insurance is for.

I had a broken glass on the rear hatch and the whole hatch had to be replaced, very expensive. $3600 which included repainting of 2 panels.

I had an inattentive driver run into the back of the i3 in traffic. No obvious structural damage but the rear panel(s) below the hatch were replaced and painted even though there was no apparent damage other than a bit of paint missing. Cost a little over $2k Australian.

psquare said:
I'm about to have one white cover on the front left pillar replaced. I wasn't happy with the fit after the installation of my new front screen. I'll report back once this has been done, but not sure whether I'll see the price, as it is a FOC fix by the dealership. Apparently the clips underneath are missing, which attach the cover to the CFRP body.
Unless they actually broke the "A" pillar trim then all you would really need are the two plastic clips. There is also a bolt under the "Airbag" logo. It's a little tricky to get the rubber seal to fit back on correctly but it's not that bad.

Back