REVERSE SPEED

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoheath

Since the i3 has no transmission per se, and achieves reverse by switching polarity on the DC motor presumably, it should be technically possible to drive the car in reverse at 150kph, the same as forward. Did BMW put a software limit on reverse to preclude high speed reverse?

geoheath said:
Since the i3 has no transmission per se, and achieves reverse by switching polarity on the DC motor presumably, it should be technically possible to drive the car in reverse at 150kph, the same as forward. Did BMW put a software limit on reverse to preclude high speed reverse?
I believe the i3, like most (all?) regular production EV's, has an AC motor. But your point is still valid in that reverse is implemented by spinning the motor in the reverse direction, not be shifting gears in a transmission.

Driving with steerable wheels at the rear is much less stable than with them at the front, so almost certainly BMW has limited the reverse speed for safety's sake.

Back