i3 OBD reader and shop manual?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

I'm looking at replacing a 2003 Prius with an i3-Rex. What I'm looking for:
  • OBD reader with i3 codes - the standard OBD PIDs do not know how to query the Prius battery controller and transmission. Is there a recommended OBD controller that reads all of the i3-Rex metrics?
  • shop manual - before I got my 03 Prius OBD scanner, I was instrumenting the car using the shop manual schematics and what I had in my 'junk box.' Is there is good source for the i3-Rex manual?
I'm not an i3-Rex owner, yet, but planning to buy a used on via eBay. That was how I got our 03 Prius and it worked out just fine. In fact, I bought the shop manuals the same day I had confirmation of the 03 Prius sale. I had to drive the Prius home and the manuals arrived the next day.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

The i3 is our first car for which I have not been able to purchase a shop manual. A shop manual on CD was available even for our former Mitsubishi i-MiEV although it was quite expensive.

It appears that BMW doesn't want its owners to dirty their dainty hands instead wanting us to pay BMW dealers handsomely to take care of any problem. Fortunately, all i3's remain under warranty, so repair costs haven't been an issue to date. But we tend to keep our cars way past the end of their warranties, and I like to be able to understand and maybe even repair any problem that our cars have had or maybe install some accessories that could be made easier with a shop manual. Maybe BMW will eventually release an i3 shop manual, but I'm not very optimistic.

Several i3 owners seem to be able to read and clear OBD DTC's. I think some were using a simple OBD reader and looking up the DTC's online. Hopefully, you'll get some authoritative information from others with actual experience.

www.ecstuning.com sells a house-branded version of the Foxwell NT-510 scanner. It can be purchased as the Foxwell in other places. It comes with a code to load one brand specific extensions to its generic OBD II reader. Free updates for 18-months after you first register the device, then, they cost. Additional brands can be purchased up to a total of 5 different brands for a retail of about $100 ea.

BMW updates their manuals all electronically so the dealers don't have a printed copy either - they must use their computer to view things, which ensures they always have the latest information.

Thank you!
jadnashuanh said:
http://www.ecstuning.com sells a house-branded version of the Foxwell NT-510 scanner. It can be purchased as the Foxwell in other places. It comes with a code to load one brand specific extensions to its generic OBD II reader. Free updates for 18-months after you first register the device, then, they cost. Additional brands can be purchased up to a total of 5 different brands for a retail of about $100 ea.
I checked with AutoEnginuity and they have a model for the BMW i3. I've used them in the past and will probably use them. It has the ability to record the data.

jadnashuanh said:
BMW updates their manuals all electronically so the dealers don't have a printed copy either - they must use their computer to view things, which ensures they always have the latest information.
So no user option to rent subscriber access?

The Toyota TIS service has a $25 for two days and $75 for 30. Sounds like we need to support independent BMW shops.

Bob Wilson

jadnashuanh said:
http://www.ecstuning.com sells a house-branded version of the Foxwell NT-510 scanner. It can be purchased as the Foxwell in other places. It comes with a code to load one brand specific extensions to its generic OBD II reader. Free updates for 18-months after you first register the device, then, they cost. Additional brands can be purchased up to a total of 5 different brands for a retail of about $100 ea.

i like foxwell nt510,It is too much for BMW.BUT I found it in foxwelltool cheaper than ecstuning

bwilson4web said:
jadnashuanh said:

The Toyota TIS service has a $25 for two days and $75 for 30.
In another thread, you mentioned subscribing to the BMW technical information site, 30 days for $250. If you have done that, what was your impression? One limitation that bothers me is that "BMW troubleshooting charts, guides and aids for diagnosis are integrated into BMW service tools. Stand-alone guides for troubleshooting are not available via this website."

alohart said:
bwilson4web said:
jadnashuanh said:

The Toyota TIS service has a $25 for two days and $75 for 30.
In another thread, you mentioned subscribing to the BMW technical information site, 30 days for $250. If you have done that, what was your impression? One limitation that bothers me is that "BMW troubleshooting charts, guides and aids for diagnosis are integrated into BMW service tools. Stand-alone guides for troubleshooting are not available via this website."
Delayed after I cracked the windshield. My BMW i3-REx is 'in the spa' while the dealer completes repairs. I sure hope they get it done today as I really like that little puppy.

Meanwhile, I'm rolling around in our 2010 Prius and <sigh> I've so done that!

The only outstanding Prius request is to benchmark "D" and "B" on one of my driving loops. It is summer so I have to do it between 2-7 AM to get anything close to Standard Day temps. I'm only a little curious to quantify the effect. I know the results but not the value of how bad "B" will be(*).

Bob Wilson

* - I like the Prius community but sometimes they can be so lazy. They ask a question but haven't the faintest idea of how to run a benchmark to answer their own question.

you can probably get all the diagnostics coding available through INPA

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698506

hi ,man,i also recommed you get a foxwell nt510,and it only for 179$ on http://www.foxwelltool.com/,it works well on bmw.
Played around on my BMW E70 for a bit, covers ABS, Airbag, Electronic Parking Brake, some EWS/CAS, Active Suspension, Service Resets for $179.

ON my E70 I have use Foxwell NT510 codes all sorts of convenience features for things like door locks, windows, tailgate and lighting.

Moreover, OBDII for more than just BMW protocol along with BMW specialized/proprietary codes and Bi-directional control for many modules and systems in the vehicle for testing and troubleshooting purposes. Everything from rolling windows up and down, turning lights on and off and controlling the HVAC/IHKA. Also Live data from many of the subsystems in the vehicle, so switch inputs can be monitored and on newer vehicles with a true TPMS with individual wheel sensors you can see the tire pressure.

Foxwell NT510 can be updated to include AU FORD, BMW, Chrysler, Fiat, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Holden, Land Rover, OPEL, Toyota and VAG for approximately $70 for one brand. These updates are manufacturer specific.

With a tool like the Foxwell NT510 Scanner for BMW, all you need to do is keep and interface in the car and you will always have at least an OBDII tool at hand when out on the road.

So for around $179 USD, the Foxwell tool looks very promising. There is always newer update that is supposed to offer more coding capability as well. Unclear what coding capabilities will be released, not sure if it is more personalization of modules and lighting changes or something more in depth.

I bought a OBD logger and connected it to my BMW i3 but I I could only see one single message coming along the OBD Port. Does anybody know if th OBD port really has all the data on it or does the i3 have another port for the CAN BUS Data like the Tesla S?

Many thanks

From what I can tell, the i3 uses both the CANBUS and the 'standard' OBD II ports. To get the best functionality, you need a reader that can access the CANBUS and interpret the BMW codes.

jadnashuanh said:
From what I can tell, the i3 uses both the CANBUS and the 'standard' OBD II ports. To get the best functionality, you need a reader that can access the CANBUS and interpret the BMW codes.

Sort of, yes. The i3(and all BN2020 BMWs) use Ethernet to communicate with the factory scan tools through the OBD port, along with the OBD2 mandated CAN communication. All the data goes through the same OBD port, there is not a second physical port. However most scanners only look at the mandatory OBD communication lines, which will provide just that; only the mandatory information.

Someone above mentioned INPA, that is likely your most cost effective and thorough solution for the i3. Will give you access to anything in the car, much more than you could ever utilize to be honest. You could also pursue ISTA Next, that is the software the dealers use to interact with the vehicle. It will give you your wiring diagrams, repair instructions, system descriptions, etc. Available for free across the forums, I know Bimmerfest has a pretty good sized subforum dedicated to the use and progression of BMW software such as ISTA Next and INPA.

Back