How to reset the Service Indicator on the i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miemrich

My "orange" Service indicator came on and says "Service required 7/2016". I read on the internet how to reset the indicator but it does NOT work on my car.

Any idea how to reset? This vehicle is new and does not need the brakes taken care of.

Thank you.
Mike

Is your car a new, 2014 MY? The brake service interval is based on the build date, not the date you bought it, even if it never was driven, brake fluid absorbs moisture and should be flushed to help prevent corrosion internally in the system.

Have not tried it myself but found online:
1. Hit the on/off button without pressing the brake (should be in accessory mode)
2. Press and hold the trip odo reset button for ~10 sec. The display will say "reset possible"
3. Quick press the trip odo button to scroll through to whatever needs resetting
4. Long press the trip odo button; it'll say something like "reset?" Long press again to confirm

Is the car 2 years old?

If so, the brakes don't need servicing, but the brake fluid does need to be changed.

If you're in the US, it is included in the prepaid servicing that came with the car.

ewaynek said:
Yes, the service was done but the technician did not clear the notice.
I was in the same situation - called the genius line and they told me only the dealer can do it. I took it to the dealer - the CA drove the car out and came back in in less that 2 min - not enough time to hook it up to any computer to reset, which made me think that there is some reset sequence like in other bimmers. I searched online and found the sequence I posted up but have not tried it as both my cars are current and don't want to risk messing them up.

I understand the text but does it reset everything? I had the oil service and brake fluid service performed at the dealership. They wanted an additional $130 for a vehicle check. I told them the paperwork says courtesy vehicle inspection no charge??

Why is it that I have to pay for the service light to be reset? Does anyone know how gto reset the "Vehicle Check" light?

Much appreciation

FiremanDan2928 said:
Does anyone know how gto reset the "Vehicle Check" light?

Much appreciation
The Vehicle Check light being on can be turned off with an OBD-II reader, but if the problem persists, it will turn itself back on. If it was a temporary fault, over time, it could go off on its own. When that light IS on, prior to resetting it, you should use the reader to find out what trouble code it came on for. That will tend to lead you to why it came on in the first place. IT could be a real problem.

The maintenance reset stuff discussed above is a different issue.

Back