charging port door grinding sound when opened

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamposite1

I just took my 2014 BEV into dealer today. The charging port door was making loud grinding sound when opening it.

I noticed the grinding sound maybe 6 months ago, but it was short, maybe half or one second, but now it is 2-3 seconds.

The sound is coming from the locking part of the door, not from the hinge. It sounds like a gear or sprocket that is striped to make that grinding sound. The sound happens every time the charge port door is opened.

The bmw service advisor said it was the first i3 that he has seen with this issue.

I wanted to know if anyone else had observed this.

thanks

Hi,

yes. We had the grinding issue exactly as you described. Had it replaced under warranty about a month ago. The part took it's sweet time to appear from backorder.

Regards, Steven

You can swap the lock yourself if you have the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziVu9-v69eE

Will probably save 5000.- bucks in labour by BMW garage :) :) :)

The video shows how to replace both actuators - the one for the door and also the locking actuator for the charging connector.

Why does a simple door require an electric actuator? There are mechanical latches that alternate between opening and closing with each push. Modern vehicles use far too many electric actuators and motors, many of which will eventually fail.

alohart said:
Why does a simple door require an electric actuator? There are mechanical latches that alternate between opening and closing with each push. Modern vehicles use far too many electric actuators and motors, many of which will eventually fail.

Many vehicles lock the gas filler door, and BMW does this as well with the charge port. In theory, it helps prevent tampering. While the current models don't support V2G, eventually, that may happen, too, where you could plug in and get power back out of the vehicle. I think that vehicles sold in Japan require that feature, anyway, I think I read that somewhere.

FWIW, California did run a trial with some modified vehicles with V2G, and their recent report indicates that vehicles could provide enough buffer to the grid where that could save everyone some money by negating the need for peaker plants having to come on-line.

jadnashuanh said:
Many vehicles lock the gas filler door, and BMW does this as well with the charge port. In theory, it helps prevent tampering.
Good point! I don't usually try to open the charge port door when it's locked, so I forgot that it locks when the doors are locked. Needs an electric actuator to do that.

Back