How to replace a wing mirror

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mito

Has anyone done this?

Do you take the skin off the outside of the door or remove the inner door card and if so how?
( You need to remove the outer door skin)

I have read that you need special tools to remove the panels ( you need one time clips )

Update
Have done the job now
See: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4442

hi, did you find out how to remove the side mirrors?
I’m looking for info on whether they can be replaced by cameras.

Need to remove a mirror to trace the wires and see what can be blanked off to keep the mod looking ‘factory’.

Thanks

It depends on the level of damage.

It's possible to replace the mirrored surface and some of the housing from outside, no inner or ourter doorskin removals necessary.

Hopefully the OP solved their 2017 problem, but if not, please share how things went.

BTW, the passenger wing mirror is photochromic as standard in the US. If you break it, it's about US$300 (parts counter) for a new one. There's a non-photochromic one available for about US$100.

(and the car knows which one is installed!)

thanks alohart, that link is very useful. I did try replying same day you posted it, but now I’v revisited this thread, I notice mt reply didn’t ‘save’.

My ‘project’ is to remove the large, unaerodynamic mirrors and replace with small cameras held in custom pods (motorcycle indicators).

I’ve already hooked up two 4” screens at the bottom of the A-pillars.
The link to the BMW servicing diagrams is invaluable, I would have done some swearing if that hidden release-screw hadn’t been highlighted on the assembly.

Back