Factory charger BMW i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stroom

What are the characteristics of the factory charger, for a car of the American market?
Show his photo, plug, plug and the device itself.

The EVSE that comes with a US spec car is a 120vac device. The car can be charged on a 240vac device (or via DC). This is so that it is compatible with the common receptacles used in the USA. As a result, it's fairly slow. Depending on the model year, it's either a 12A or maybe 10A device, so not all that many watts. The stock one sold in the rest of the world is mostly a 240vac device. Note, the USA and a few other countries use a J1772 plug which differs from the ones sold in many places including Europe. The actual charging protocol is identical in the car, though, so it's primarily just the receptacle in the car.

Initially, the charger of an American machine is rated at 120 volts. But it can be changed to 240 volts! In addition to replacing the plug, you need to replace several items inside the device. If you do not do it - it will break after a while!

Back