sapphire

Re: Is coast to coast road trip by i3 possible?

Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Firstly thank you everyone for the response. Have been busy since this week and didn't have time to check back yet. Will read through your replies and follow them up.

jadnashuanh

Tue May 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Rumors have it that the only reason the REx exists was from the marketers. The car was designed as a commuter/city car. That you can use it on a trip is secondary, not it's primary reason for existence. The worry was, few would buy it if they feared it would run out of battery and leave them stranded coming home from work. As a result, the REx was not designed for optimal long-distance travel but to get you home in case your plans changed, or you miscalculated. When they went to the extreme to eliminate extra grams from the design, throwing in a gas tank, plumbing, and the motor with everything required to make it work doesn't make a lot of design sense.

BMW does make lots of other hybrids where the priority was not to be extremely efficient for running around a city, but none of them are serial hybrids like the REx.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

EVMan

Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 pm

I would expect premium brand companies like BMW to have internal checks , not to sell less robust products into the market , under their brand name.

Weather BMW designed the rex with only emergency purpose or more robust usage purpose, either way , they own the product and re responsible for selling the car, educating the customers, , earning the profits, servicing them , and warranting the car.

I mean to say , it will become a similar situation like Nissan Leaf where the with lack of Thermal Management , makes it as 2nd grade car, increase Nissan's cost to replace them , under warranty , and take a hit to their brand name , as C grade

At least Leaf is the king of low cost, and the brand has become synonymous with cheap ev's. Nissan kind of planned that positioning.

is this the same case with BMW i2 rex . Selling less robust car , at a premium price, , than what customers might expect the rex engine to be ? and doing that in purpose

In theory , there is no reason , why rex engine , should not last a very long time....with long drives.
jadnashuanh wrote:Rumors have it that the only reason the REx exists was from the marketers. The car was designed as a commuter/city car. That you can use it on a trip is secondary, not it's primary reason for existence. The worry was, few would buy it if they feared it would run out of battery and leave them stranded coming home from work. As a result, the REx was not designed for optimal long-distance travel but to get you home in case your plans changed, or you miscalculated. When they went to the extreme to eliminate extra grams from the design, throwing in a gas tank, plumbing, and the motor with everything required to make it work doesn't make a lot of design sense.

BMW does make lots of other hybrids where the priority was not to be extremely efficient for running around a city, but none of them are serial hybrids like the REx.
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

bwilson4web

Sun May 13, 2018 6:17 am

@EVMan,

It looks like you have two BMW i3-REx, 2016 and 2017?

Could you check to see if the 'Tripmeter' is on both cars?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

jadnashuanh

Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 am

While you can use a pair of pliers to remove a nut...often, a wrench will work better. The i3 is not ideal for long-distance travel. I've never said it couldn't be used that way, but it isn't as convenient. People crossed the USA in covered wagons pulled by oxen, too. It worked...the railroad was a better, faster choice.

SO, pick your level of comfort and convenience you're willing to accept, just don't slam the vehicle for not being the wrench. It is what it is. It will take you longer than an ICE or a hybrid designed for long distance travel, but it will still get there.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

EVMan

Sun May 13, 2018 11:33 am

jadnashuanh wrote:While you can use a pair of pliers to remove a nut...often, a wrench will work better. The i3 is not ideal for long-distance travel. I've never said it couldn't be used that way, but it isn't as convenient. People crossed the USA in covered wagons pulled by oxen, too. It worked...the railroad was a better, faster choice.

SO, pick your level of comfort and convenience you're willing to accept, just don't slam the vehicle for not being the wrench. It is what it is. It will take you longer than an ICE or a hybrid designed for long distance travel, but it will still get there.
ok. I understand your point of view. But mine is different. i think , its all about the Mountains :-)
In my case, i only use rex, when i travel out of city. When i do use it, it often is used extensively on that day. The only inconvenience is carrying a 2.5 gallon gas tan in the frunk. I am just fine with that. I can understand , how other may not be with that option.
Inside city , its more like a backup plan , on a cold rain day ....., i think with 2017 larger pack, rex is less useful inside the city.
But rex makes it like a regular gas car.

Out of city, i often end up in the mountains, and the regen makes the car better than any other pure ICE. So i prefer this over a ICE , which is not ideal in mountains.
Also i do not want to pay for insurance for a separate car. Also i keep lot of useful stuff in my car, and changing the car is not ideal
The added wait of rex is not a problem for me, as a heavier car is also safer in a collision , so i am ok with that.

All i expect from the car is the rex is durable , on the day we use it . it helps the battery too , when i drive fast to gain altitude.
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

EVMan

Sun May 13, 2018 11:37 am

bwilson4web wrote:@EVMan,

It looks like you have two BMW i3-REx, 2016 and 2017?

Could you check to see if the 'Tripmeter' is on both cars?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
Can you please elaborate more, whats is the question ? or the test ?
Yes there is a trip meter in both.
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

bwilson4web

Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 pm

EVMan wrote:
bwilson4web wrote:. . .
Perfect. That is what I wanted to know.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

EVMan

Sun May 13, 2018 10:17 pm

bwilson4web wrote:
EVMan wrote:
bwilson4web wrote:. . .
Perfect. That is what I wanted to know.

Bob Wilson
The only difference i found so far , is that the Audio stops to play , when the door is open in 2017 .
in 2016, you need to do that manually .
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

EVMan

Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 pm

But the software versions are different , so there may be some changes...
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”