Upgrading Sat Nav Screen

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollyuk

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a 2015 I3 (a big change from my previous 3, 5 and X3 series BMW's) but I love it. The one thing I do not love so much however is the sat nav screen which is the basic 6.5" screen. I really wanted the larger 10.25" screen as it looks exponentially better in my opinion.

My question is has anyone on the forum performed this conversion from small to large screen and if so what did it involve? I do not think the actual exchanging of the screens is too difficult (two screws hold it in place) but will the change require any coding changes as I have read this is necessary when doing a similar swap on other BMW models. Also, is there a need to swap any other hardware on the car?

Thank you in advance for any support you can give!

SOmeone has done this and described it already...try the search function. IF I remember, it came out well, but you still don't get the professional nav extras, just a larger screen (I think, but the thread describes it). That thread was maybe a couple of months ago...

You’re absolutely right - thank you. Link below to the thread:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4870&p=42780&hilit=Nav+screen#p42780

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a 2015 I3 (a big change from my previous 3, 5 and X3 series BMW's) but I love it. The one thing I do not love so much however is the sat nav screen which is the basic 6.5" screen. I really wanted the larger 10.25" screen as it looks exponentially better in my opinion.

My question is has anyone on the forum performed this conversion from small to large screen and if so what did it involve? I do not think the actual exchanging of the screens is too difficult (two screws hold it in place) but will the change require any coding changes as I have read this is necessary when doing a similar swap on other BMW models. Also, is there a need to swap any other hardware on the car?

Thank you in advance for any support you can give!
Hi.I have done the screen upgrade, it's quite easy to do firstly you need to buy the 10.25in screen I bought mine via aliexpress about £300 then I bought a obc wifi dongle and installed bimmercode on my smartphone I followed the instructions from a online video and being a 78yr old non too techie person it worked 1st time, the coding is needed to change screen size and aspects , I also sold the small screen on Ebay for a very good price I would think you have chimea Innolux screen on your i3 so you will need to remove the existing screen to check on the back of the screen its quite an easy job to do, best of luck to you its worth doing in my opinion the screen is so much better

I'm a bit surprised reading about this.
I never heared about screen upgrades before, but the lack of information in the screen is one of my considerations to maybe get rid of the i3.
Otherwise I love the car!

But is it really possible to upgrade the screen and then be able to use apple carplay and/or google carplay and/or android auto?
Can I just buy it at my BMW dealer? Or is it only available through "non official suppliers" like Ali-express?

Back