Defect USB

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobiassej

Downloaded the map update but realized that it can’t recognize the USB. Tried to charge my phone afterwards and it want change :cry:

Anyone who knows how to troubleshoot this?

If you think it is just the mechanical port that is bad, you can try replacing it?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401045215850

Not sure if that is the exact unit for the i3 but similar ones are pretty inexpensive. If it’s on the headunit, then it gets a bit more pricey.

Of course, if you are still under warranty, just have the dealer take a look.

I realized that both the USB and mobile charger is not working, might be the fuse.

Anyone who has a BMW i3 fuse-overview/map?

Unless someone tossed it, there's a fuse layout in the fuse compartment...open it up and look. Make sure to put the laminated(?) card back when you close it up for next time. IMHO, it would be nicer if they had that info in the owner's manual, but fewer and fewer people do anything to their cars these days, and rely on the dealership.

tobiassej said:
Downloaded the map update but realized that it can’t recognize the USB. Tried to charge my phone afterwards and it want change :cry:

Anyone who knows how to troubleshoot this?
Information about the i3's USB hub can be found here.

Removing and installing/replacing USB audio interface connecting socket is described here.

The wiring diagram that includes the USB hub protected by fuse 66 is here.

You guys are fantastic, thanks.

I exchanged fuse 65 (was broken) and the mobile charger (12V) now works. Fuse 127 was intact.

The USB then worked briefly (charged my phone for 20 seconds or so). Tried to switch cable and with a separate USB but was not able to get i work again.

There is no fuse i socket 66.

It might be possible that some of the newer devices are trying to pull more current than the USB port was designed for.

I use a 12vdc cigarette lighter to USB to charge my phone...even that socket isn't super high capacity, but is enough for two 2.2A 5vdc output from that device.

Thanks anyway

Think I'll skip trouble finding via BMW - cost for repair are crazy here in Denmark.
I once asked what the salary pr working hour was and they would tell me since it was a "combination of several things".
Since I made the 12V charger work I'm happy.

I'm surprised that everybody praises electric cars for being cheap regarding service/maintenance. I'm not sure if my old Alfa Romeo or the I3 is the winner in this case.

tobiassej said:
I'm surprised that everybody praises electric cars for being cheap regarding service/maintenance.
EV's have the potential to be more reliable than an ICE vehicle due to fewer moving mechanical parts. However, EV's have more expensive electronic modules that should be reliable but aren't always, particularly those in the i3, unfortunately. BMW parts and service seem to be more expensive than equivalent Toyota or Honda parts and service, so the i3 probably isn't a good example of an EV that is inexpensive to service/maintain.

Parts tend to get cheaper when they can be made in large volumes. Any small volume car is going to have at least some parts that are expensive. Things like spark plugs, for example, tend to be fairly cheap. Tires, maybe, but not if they are a unique size. When a part can be used across the product line, it tends to be cheaper. The expected volume will also dictate whether aftermarket suppliers want to spend the money to build and stock parts for them...small market, not much demand, little competition. In the scheme of things, there aren't all that many i3's running around the world.

Around where I live, BMW service labor runs about $125/hour or so. That's not out of line with some of the other dealerships in the area. It's about what a good plumber makes, too, if that gives you an idea. The rate will depend somewhat on where you live, the prevailing cost of living, and the availability of qualified technicians. In the US, the corporate BMW branch has a 'book rate' for how long it should take a qualified tech to perform most jobs on the vehicle. Someone that does it every day may be able to do it much faster, but often, you end up paying the 'book rate' for that task rather than the actual time involved by that tech.

I had the same issue, same bad fuse #66 as others mentioned.

I sometimes leave the cigar/cigarette lighter out of the 12v socket, because I sometimes use it for my Garmin. However, I also keep some keys in the center console... and I'm guessing one of my keys got "plugged in" to the 12v outlet and blew the fuse. I need to change that bad habit.

Had the USB checked in a really good however unofficial repair shop and they told me that they cannot repair the USB but will have to replace the headunit (which cost > 1.500US$ to replace).
I suppose that things are not created to last and repair, companys are getting better at this.
So much for planned obsolescence. Probably not BMW specific.

Turns out my USB port has no power and that the charging point under the dash is also off.

BMW tell me it’s a new head unit required. Thank God for a warranty!

Back