websterize

Re: Preconditioning without ConnectedDrive?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:13 am

With the key fob, I used Bimmercode to re-assign the long press of its fourth button — the one with the red triangle in the U.S. market — to cabin preconditioning. This automatically makes the interior cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather.

In the module BDC_Body, search for ...

30D0 > RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_LONG

... and change the default setting of "werte 03 = panic alarm" to "werte 07 = precondition cabin".

Long press takes about 5 seconds to activate, upon which you'll hear the car's fan spin up and see a flashing fan icon on the HVAC temperature display.

alohart

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm

websterize wrote:With the key fob, I used Bimmercode to re-assign the long press of its fourth button — the one with the red triangle in the U.S. market — to cabin preconditioning.
Now, in addition to worrying about your windows opening due to an inadvertent fob button press, you'll have to worry about cabin preconditioning being inadvertently turned on by an inadvertent fob button press :D
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

websterize

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:08 pm

alohart wrote:
websterize wrote:With the key fob, I used Bimmercode to re-assign the long press of its fourth button — the one with the red triangle in the U.S. market — to cabin preconditioning.
Now, in addition to worrying about your windows opening due to an inadvertent fob button press, you'll have to worry about cabin preconditioning being inadvertently turned on by an inadvertent fob button press :D
haha.

bwilson4web

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:28 am

I'll work the key fob shortly but in the meanwhile, we had temperature just above freezing last night. I had scheduled the departure time and this is what the charger saw:
  1. I need to investigate the x-axis time calibration. The displacements appear right but there could be an error on the server that offsets the time scale on the graph, a harmless problem. The car clock agrees with the cell phone. This suggests the server time is off by about 5 minutes. I can setup the cell phone to video record the cabin and manually initiate preconditioning. Then I can plot the load to get the exact offset between the graph and 'reality.'
  2. The initial battery warm-up, ~1.4 kW, appears about three hours before the scheduled departure time. After the initial warm-up, no power is needed until just before the cabin warm-up.
Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

alohart

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 am

bwilson4web wrote:This suggests the server time is off by about 5 minutes.
I would be surprised if the server's time isn't correct to a few milliseconds. Servers do all sorts of things that require accurate time, so they typically synchronize their clocks with an international time server daily.

It would be more likely that the car's software is to blame. It might awaken only once every 5 minutes to check the time to determine when to start preconditioning. Maybe BMW feels that 5 minute accuracy is good enough for preconditioning start times.

I've read that battery pack preconditioning turns off when the pack temperature reaches 10º C (50º F). If true, your pack must not have been very cold considering the short pack preconditioning times.

By contrast, cabin preconditioning consumed a significant amount of energy. It would be interesting to compare the energy consumed when preconditioning a BEV's cabin. I assume that the heat pump would turn on for BEV cabin preconditioning rather than the electric resistance element.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

jadnashuanh

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Yes, the heat pump can be heard in my BEV when running preconditioning...it's definitely not switching to resistance heating unless it's REALLY cold out. It was below zero F earlier this week, and the car was silent, so it must have decided resistance heating was required as the heat pump definitely wasn't on.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

bwilson4web

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Still no luck. This is an audit of the current settings.

Setting up communications and finding the body controller settings:

Not previously discussed and set to "Wert_00", I set "RC_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_COMFORT" too:

There are three press duration values so I set all of them to "0x07":

Instead of starting "Wert_07", Auxiliary Cooling, pressing the middle button, "open frunk," worked each time. I'll send this to the developer.

Bob Wilson

websterize

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 am

What happens if you change 30D0 > "RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_LONG" to "werte 07 = precondition cabin"?

Fairly sure the default fob button settings are:
1st = unlock doors
2nd: lock doors
3rd: unlock frunk (2014 model year) or trunk (later MYs)
4th: alarm (U.S.) or ♢ (programmable in rest of world)

bwilson4web

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 am

Ok, the good news is we have two answers:
  1. In "expert mode", only use the options listed ... don't fiddle with other, override values unless someone has reported one that works. The "Werte 07" only works where it is listed as an option.
  2. "4TH" button is the only one that appears to work for key fob activation by key fob.
So this begs the question, "What are all of the expert options and the possible replies?"

There may be some as yet undocumented enhancements to our rides.

Bob Wilson

websterize

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Great to hear button 4 is working for you. I use it all the time.

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”