oldGreyCat

Re: Battery Replacement Under Warranty

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:02 pm

Thanks again. Very useful.

oldGreyCat

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:30 pm

If I were buying a used i3, I would not buy an i3 earlier than a 2017 model because that's the first model with the 94 Ah battery pack which seems to be degrading much more slowly than some 60 Ah battery packs. However, the price would be higher.
If it comes to a battery pack replacement after the 8 year warranty expires, how much does that cost?

MKH
Gold Member

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:50 am

If it comes to a battery pack replacement after the 8 year warranty expires, how much does that cost?
$16,000 according to BMW

https://enrg.io/how-much-does-a-bmw-i3- ... ment-cost/

But people who have done it in Europe, are saying $7,000 to $10,000 if you go 3rd party and salvaged battery. BMW at one time sponsored an upgrade path as a pilot in the EU with a cost of around $8,000 for the battery upgrade, but has since discontinued it as interest wasn't there.

And apparently it's not an easy job - not just sliding out the battery tray, taking out the old cells and dropping in new ones. The whole cooling system has to be disconnected and re-connected, control units need to be replaced and re-programming done. I know of one dealer doing a warranty battery swap on an i3, after four months in the shop, and putting in three different battery packs (each one air-freighted in from Germany) they couldn't get to work, BMW finally flew in two engineers from the factory in Germany to do the job.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

oldGreyCat

Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:52 am

This "deal" is looking less and less likely by the minute. Thanks. This has been really helpful.

MKH
Gold Member

Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:04 am

This "deal" is looking less and less likely by the minute. Thanks. This has been really helpful.
Don't overthink it. How many miles do you expect to drive in a day? (Is the car a REx?)

I have a 2015 REx. Bought it with 10K on the clock, and it now has 22K. Most of my 'day' driving I rarely log more than 15 - 20 miles. I have occasional days that I hit 30 maybe 40 miles. I've had only two times in 2 years that when running multiple errands, I had the REx come on, and both those, I deliberately kept running around just to see the REx come on. After several days of very short 5 - 10 mile trips, depending on outside temp. my range after charging that night might be 55 - 60 miles. If I take a longer drive of 30 - 40 miles, and charge it up, next day my range is 75 miles (and the car is rated at 71 miles max range in the literature). Oh, and I always drive in Comfort mode - never use Eco mode. If after several years of ownership, even if my range drops to 50 miles max, I'd still be using the car exactly as I do now - do my daily drive, plug it in at night to charge as needed. Seems like the price you are getting is good, and if the battery is currently showing decent range, and you don't have a high mile commute that is pushing the limit of the car, if it was me, I'd not be worrying about a 'what if' that will have almost zero impact even if that unicorn event of a degraded battery pack actually happens. After a longish trip to and from my daughter's house (40+miles) for Thanksgiving, plugged it in overnight, and when I backed out of the garage, it showed my range at 80 miles. Of course that dropped immediately to around 70, but still - 70 miles is about what the car was rated at brand new. With the car fully charged, and using 'conditioning' during the charge - what is the range showing?? On the BMW i3 board there are lots of owners with over 100K miles on their 2014 and 2015 i3's with little appreciable drop in HV battery performance, some even over 200K.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

oldGreyCat

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:49 pm

My commute is 20 miles each way, 40 miles total with a charger at work that has to be shared among vehicles. Occasionally, I'll drive to a local music gig after work and then home, so those are the only days I would have to be sure to charge at work. Report from the dealer is that they changed the 12V battery, not one of the HV modules. I will talk directly to BMW tomorrow to see if I can get any information about the current capacity of the battery.

avasu01

Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Newbie here....

I have a 2015 i3 Base with 55k miles. Car was purchased from someone in California and I had it delivered on a truck to Georgia. When it was unloaded from the truck, the car wouldn’t turn on. I had it towed to a charging station and charged it overnight to 100%. It’s now giving me 9 miles of range.

I did the Kapa test and it’s saying 2.2. Will BMW replace the battery given these circumstances?

jadnashuanh

Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:54 pm

This sounds like a true battery failure and, if testing verifies, should qualify for a replacement battery. The estimated range and hidden menu readouts can be fooled, so you should drive it a bit to see if that changes.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

alohart

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:52 pm

avasu01 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:23 pm
I have a 2015 i3 Base with 55k miles. Car was purchased from someone in California and I had it delivered on a truck to Georgia. When it was unloaded from the truck, the car wouldn’t turn on. I had it towed to a charging station and charged it overnight to 100%. It’s now giving me 9 miles of range.
What do you mean by "wouldn't turn on"? Totally dead with no instrument lights, not able to unlock with the fob, etc.? If so, the 12 V battery's charge might have been too low. Charging the battery pack will also charge the 12 V battery.

With a low 12 V system voltage, weird things can happen until the car "resets" itself which could take a couple of days. If it doesn't start behaving normally after a couple of days, take it to a BMW dealer and be prepared to pay a diagnostic charge (a few hundred dollars). If the battery pack is defective, it should be replaced under warranty with your diagnostic charge refunded.

Hopefully, you have some assurance from the seller that everything was working normally before your car was shipped.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

bum55

Mon May 03, 2021 4:43 pm

Adding my situation regarding battery degradation. 2014 Rex built 12/1/2014, bought new inservice date July 2015. Currently at 40,000 miles so figure my 8 year battery warranty runs through July 2023. Our full charge mileage seemed to be getting lower so I've started tracking the bat/max level in the "secret menu". It was 13.7 a year ago, had one reading as low as 12.1 this winter, and the latest reading was 13.0 this April 2021.

My experience to date in discussing this with my dealer is not any different than many of you have experienced. Willing to run the test for $300 but I'll have to pay for it if it comes back above the 70% or 13.15 reading. Dealer does not seem very excited about the prospect of dealing with this and encouraged me to wait since I still have time left on my warranty. They are very hazy about providing specifics about their history with warranty claims like this or the specifics of what I can expect to see regarding the test results I'd be paying for. I am concerned that even if it tests below 70% now and they actually change a module that I'd be back in the same situation again during the next two years of warranty coverage. So I figure waiting and continuing to monitor the reading is my best course of action for now and make sure it will read below the "normal" acceptable range when I do get the test done.

Any one see any reason to do otherwise at this time? I'll keep the. group updated as this moves along. Besides replacing the 12v battery myself and replacing the rear trunk latch, saving about $800 in dealer charges, we have had no major repairs during the 6 years of ownership and we really love the car. It's used only for around town errands by my wife so we've made no long trips with it and it's never been charged anywhere but in our garage using a 30 amp "charger".

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”