Fan only in Eco Pro mode

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer71

I love when I can use the fan only in Eco Pro+ mode, does anyone know how I can use fan only (no temperature) in the Eco Pro mode? I would greatly appreciate any advice on this topic. Thanks

The fan function on the i3 is not a conventional fan adjustment...it is tied into the HVAC system and represents how aggressively the system tries to reach and maintain your set temperature. Unlike many vehicles out there where the fan switch actually, directly ONLY controls the fan speed, it's a bit more complicated in the i3. When you switch to one of the Eco modes, you're telling the computer logic that you can accept those two functions be more separated...but, they still do interact, just not as aggressively.

I would think the only way to do it is to turn off AC and set the temperature low. With AC off, it won't actively cool the air, and with the temperature set low, it won't try to heat the air.

If I remember correctly, even if the a/c is off, if the system detects condensation, it will turn it back on by itself...there's a lot of computing going on in the car...it's not like the 'old' days.

FWIW, BMW did some testing, and when it comes to a/c use and opening the windows with it turned off...above about 28mph, it's more efficient to use the a/c than to turn it off and run with the windows down due to the increased drag from having them opened. That threshold might vary on other cars, especially on an ICE.

Actually I was trying to have it not heat the car. It defaults to 60 degrees which affects the range. Thank you though for your responses!

Back