Electric Power Engineers , a Solar PV L2 Question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

In US , does any one see any issue , if i directly connect the L2 EV charger to the grid tied Solar inverter 240 output ?
I mean , instead of having 2 breakers , one for solar and one for L2 , i just use one common circuit.
Some times the power is drawn form grid and some times , from the inverter by the L2

I quite do not understand how the voltage is pushed back to the grid. if the invert volts is higher say by 2 volts , then the Amps will need to be very high for the Potential difference, but that is not the case.

something like this like this : https://www.solaredge.com/us/products/ev-charger#/
I tested it. It looked to work just fine.
In usa , what is the max voltage limits for a car ? my voltage is in the range of 245-249 volts.

There are some very strict rules about how things like a solar array can feed back to the grid.

First, the inverter would need to meet some specs for cleanliness (cheaper, simulated sine-wave ones would create problems), and then, there must be a method to synchronize the phasing and frequency. Then, if they ever did some work on the grid and the power was off, you can't be feeding power back onto it as it would be unsafe for the repairman making the repairs and overload your inverter.

What you'd need is a positive transfer switch that breaks before making.

The 240vac grid in the US can vary about 5% or so. Mine often is around 247 or so except when there's a huge load.

Back