Climate Control Green LEDs failing or flickering repair

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseadam

This seems to be a common issue specific to the green LEDs (all other colors are fine). There are mentions of replacing the LEDs with higher quality LEDs by soldering on new ones. I can confirm a few new LEDs work, but I haven't found a matching type of LED (intensity and "reflector" type).

The LEDs I have all appear much brighter, which is a concern. Additionally, they put out more light out the sides of the LED (less focused). Though, there appears to be ample light control in the rubber and buttons where it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

They appear to be 1.5mm 0805 SMD green LEDs with reflectors to minimize light leaking sideways.

Does anyone know the rough specifications (i.e. mcd @ 10ma, forward voltages, "reflector" type) or LED model number I can reference to match close to OEM? I will still replace all of the green LEDs.

Thanks!
Adam

frictioncircle said:
Under warranty I had parts of the HVAC controls replaced because of flickering LEDs... Is your i3 still under warranty?

Not under warranty anymore.

I replaced the LEDs with "normal" 0603 red ones. They sfit the pads and there is sufficient light blocking from the silicone from the buttons. They are a bit bright though, so I will be looking for dimmer LEDs.

You you have any tips or a link to an online tutorial for removal of AC panel and maybe a picture of the PCB with the LEDs, you can share? I have 5-7 LEDs that are flickering or not working, that I would like to change. However I wonder if it is easier to just change the whole unit?

I bought a 2021 unit off Ebay for £70, simple swap and all LEDs working.
They addressed the isdue on the later models I believe.

I'm not convinced this issue is with failed LED components, but more likely with solder joints failing. LEDs rarely just quit working unless overdriven. The ones on my car come and go at random, which seems to support the poor connection theory. So yes, replacing the LEDs likely *WILL* fix the problem, but that may not be the fix that is really required. I have yet to try it, but resoldering the joints will be my first step.

Last edited:
Back