Sergio

Removing Silver Accent Stripe?

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:24 am

Just picked up a new 2019 i3 and am loving the car. Mine is Frozen Blue with the silver strip that goes along the roof line on each side of the car.

I've searched but can't seem to find an answer - is the silver strip removable? It feels like a sticker or something? Getting the windows tinted and feel like the look would be a lot cleaner without it.

PFA

Thanks!

MKH
Gold Member

Re: Removing Silver Accent Stripe?

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 am

I doubt it is a sticker, just a plastic body panel. Several people have the contrasting panel car-wrapped, to match. You might check with a car-wrap place in your area, and see. If it IS a sticker/wrap, they can tell that, and will know how to remove it without damage.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Sergio

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 am

I expected it to be a separate panel, but it clearly isn't. If you compare it to cars w/o the strip, its obviously the same part - it could be painted on, but mine looks a bit buggered in one corner which made me think it may be some kind of vinyl accept. Agree about checking with a place the wraps, was just going to make sure I couldn't heat gun it off first ;-)

AndrewDebbie

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 am

On another forum, someone said removing the strip damaged the paint. It is some sort of decal.
2014 LEAF 24 (gone)
2017 LEAF 30 (gone)
2018 Mazda 2 (Debbie's)
2018 i3s 94Ah Rex

tjburbach

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:03 am

A member in the Facebook group mentioned removing the silver decal. They wrote:
Alan Sluka - Here’s black with the silver stripe removed in case you’re still on the fence about it.
Kurt Edelbach - Sweet. Did you use any heat to remove it, or just peel it off? Any residue left?
Alan Sluka - Heat, still left residue. 3m adhesive remover and a credit card did the trick.

Here is a direct link to the comment thread if you happen to be a member.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/p ... 7149943802

Sergio

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Awesome, thank you. That is what I expected. Will also join the FB group! Cheers.

mrwipemedown

Thu May 02, 2019 11:16 am

I was wondering the same... I just picked mine up from the dealer Monday 4/29 night and noticed when I got home-- a piece had been chipped out of the silver stripe just above the driver side window. It's a 45 minute ride from dealer to my house and the chip looks almost torn/ripped out.. so i can't even tell if it was a some loose gravel or a rock. I'll try and snap a pic later. Definitely a decal that looks very sticker-ish but there isn't any visible adhesive on the paint where the chip is missing. It actually looks kinda cheap because it looks more like a rip/tear than a paint chip.

Looks like it should be fairly easy to remove... I prob wouldn't try myself though.

Sergio

Thu May 02, 2019 7:07 pm

I removed the strip a few days ago.

The stripe comes off very easy with mild heat, but separates from the adhesive. The best bet is to spend some money on a 3M adhesive eraser wheel - took the adhesive off in no time.

BUT.

Be VERY careful. It WILL burn through your paint if you aren't careful. Go slow. Use light pressure. Take your time. It will still be MUCH faster than any other method.

I also tried 3M adhesive remover spray which lots of google results praised, it was no good for the heavy lifting by itself, and discolors trim if it gets on it. Ok for cleaning up after the wheel does most of the work though.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”