vancilwa

Re: Dash Cam Recommendations?

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:55 am

Im also looking for best budget dash cam for audi q3.

DUnit

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am

After doing some research, it seems the Viofo A119 v2 and the Viofo A119s are popular choices in the sub $100 range with lots of reviews on Youtube. They are more heat resistant during the summer since they both use capacitors instead of lithium batteries and have parking mode feature that should be hardwired using something like the Power Magic Pro (PMP).

The PMP comes with the wire harness and the module. The wiring harness has a accessory wire, constant wire, and a ground wire. For the accessory wire, I plan to use fuse #51, but anyone have a suggestion for the constant wire? The female cigarette socket end will obviously be used to power the dashcam via USB.

UPDATE: I ended up ordering the Thinkware F100 + rear camera + 64 GB + hardwire kit. In parking mode, the unit will actually record 10 sec before and after motion was detected. It will also shut itself off when the battery gets low.

Dodiat

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:53 am

If you're recording 1080p with audio + wifi capability, don't expect a battery to last long. Definitely go wired. Most of the time you can just run the wire under the dash, up the passenger door brace, under the front of the headliner and back down behind the rear-rearview mirror. Transcend makes a range of dash cams, such as the DP 520 that have everything you mentioned, but it costs a bit more. You can angle the second cam to see the driver and out the back window, and it has GPS + wi-fi capability. It syncs to an app installed on the smartphone.

I do like the suggestions of two cheap cams front & back, but removing them so they don't melt from the tropical sun every time you get out of your car would become a chore. Also increases the risk of someone noticing one or both of them and deciding its worth breaking a window for them.

I worried about people stealing my dash cam a few times, but since I live south Texas without shade to park under the sun will kill it regardless so it is a moot point. I have to pop my dashcam off its mount just so the heat doesn't melt it, and at night nobody will notice it behind the rear-view regardless. You can also hide them between some split/dual sunshades and the rear-view mirror during the day, as another option against heat or pilfering.

Some cams include SDXC cards https://10carbest.com/best-dash-camera what they don't advertise is that most are cheap TLC that will wear out quickly. Transcend ships its own brand endurance brand MLC cards with its cams, so I favor them for that reason.
There are many interesting videos on YouTube, I'll leave one of them here, I hope someone will help in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcUGmmQxY0g
Last edited by Dodiat on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

randyclark

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 am

The best dash cam i can recommend is YI technology products, you can check some review on youtube.

websterize

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:44 pm

So far, so good with Garmin Dash Cams in front and back. They're tiny.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/567282

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”