Car LTE Hotspot

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mindmachine said:
Verison has a hotspot using the OBD2 port for a lot less.

I'm not in the US. And I can get this hotspot for less than half the UK price (via a dealer in Germany).

The setup I currently have is great (150 mbits Category 4 LTE) but requires the use of an external antenna to get decent signal outside the city.
I have the enhanced bluetooth prep as well so I already have the extra antenna.

Cedriclekine said:
Ios8 allows you to turn tour iphone into hotspot if i am not wrong

Exact opposite of what I'm doing. I connect my phone/tablet/macbook/ereader/OBDII etc. to the car hotspot. My phone and tablet then don't need to maintain an active data connection to the cell network , battery life is maintained better using the low power wifi radio in the phone instead of jacking the LTE radio to 2W to maintain a signal. Also the car hotspot uses the external antenna so it maintains solid LTE signal outside the city center with no dropoff in coverage.

With the OBDII conencted to the hotspot I can read OBDII data from multiple devices. I'm hoping a future OBDII adapters will report directly to Dash or similar services without requiring a phone.

Back