Lowering springs for the i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carperson1

Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket spring manufactures are coming out with lowering springs/suspension kits for the i3 in the near future?
Thanks

I home it includes an armor kit for the battery. I don't know that I would like the battery closer to road hazards.

carperson1 said:
Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket spring manufactures are coming out with lowering springs/suspension kits for the i3 in the near future?
Thanks
I just called Eibach to see if they have anything in the works, the person I spoke with didn't see anything but did mention if there is enough interest then they will develop some. He said to send an email to [email protected] to let them know there is a demand

dculber said:
carperson1 said:
Thanks
I just called Eibach to see if they have anything in the works, the person I spoke with didn't see anything but did mention if there is enough interest then they will develop some. He said to send an email to [email protected] to let them know there is a demand

Several of the people on the Facebook group emailed them a while back - haven't heard any progress yet. Need someone local to the Eibach office in CA to volunteer their i3 (and get a free set of springs in exchange).

i3atl said:
Several of the people on the Facebook group emailed them a while back - haven't heard any progress yet. Need someone local to the Eibach office in CA to volunteer their i3 (and get a free set of springs in exchange).
I would in a heart beat if i was close

decided I didn't want to wait so I ordered a set from Cobra Suspensions. Lowers the car by ~1" all around, will post pictures once I have them installed and the wheels on

dculber said:
decided I didn't want to wait so I ordered a set from Cobra Suspensions. Lowers the car by ~1" all around, will post pictures once I have them installed and the wheels on

Nice. Can you provide the link or source you purchased them from?

dculber said:

Great news - I have a few people who are looking to order these. I'm interested in what you think of them, as they (Cobra) have been very responsive to emails, but I haven't been able to get details regarding spring rates from them.

Pixelpro said:
dculber said:

Nice. Can you provide the link or source you purchased them from?
I just went to their website, then sent them an email, I think it's info@cobrasuspensions. He answers during the night since its daytime for them (in your in the U.S.)

i3atl said:
dculber said:

Great news - I have a few people who are looking to order these. I'm interested in what you think of them, as they (Cobra) have been very responsive to emails, but I haven't been able to get details regarding spring rates from them.
copy/paste from another email.

“The OEM front spring of the i3 without Rex is higher and stiffer then the i3 with Rex.
This i3 without Rex is 8mm higher.
Original springrate without Rex is 23,12 N/mm and the original springrate with Rex is 21,62N/mm.

Its strange but the original front springs with Rex are lower and weaker then the i3 without Rex.
With Rex is 120kg heavier then the one without.

Original rear springs are almost identical . The one without Rex is 2mm higher on rideheight then the one with Rex.
OEM rates : 25.5N/mm

Our springs on the i3 without REX: 27mm in the front and 24mm on the rear. Rideheight +- after lowering: front: 390mm and rear 392mm.
Our springs on the i3 with the Rex: 23mm in the front and 24mm on the rear. Rideheight +- after lowering: front: 397mm and rear 394mm.

As you can see, our set can be used for both models.”

dculber said:
i3atl said:
dculber said:

copy/paste from another email.

“The OEM front spring of the i3 without Rex is higher and stiffer then the i3 with Rex.
This i3 without Rex is 8mm higher.
Original springrate without Rex is 23,12 N/mm and the original springrate with Rex is 21,62N/mm.

Its strange but the original front springs with Rex are lower and weaker then the i3 without Rex.
With Rex is 120kg heavier then the one without.

Original rear springs are almost identical . The one without Rex is 2mm higher on rideheight then the one with Rex.
OEM rates : 25.5N/mm

Our springs on the i3 without REX: 27mm in the front and 24mm on the rear. Rideheight +- after lowering: front: 390mm and rear 392mm.
Our springs on the i3 with the Rex: 23mm in the front and 24mm on the rear. Rideheight +- after lowering: front: 397mm and rear 394mm.

As you can see, our set can be used for both models.”

Thanks! So it looks like they provided the original rates, but not the rates for their springs?

They offered a good discount if we order 2 sets at a time (and ship to the same location), so I'm going to place the order as soon as I hear back on payment details.

i3atl said:
They offered a good discount if we order 2 sets at a time (and ship to the same location), so I'm going to place the order as soon as I hear back on payment details.
Good deal, I will post pictures and ride info once I have them installed.

Depending on exactly how the weight is distributed...that could rotate the load off the front wheels, and necessitate a different spring rate to attain the same ride height with the REx and the BEV...think big lever. Ever been in a truck and put too much weight in the back? The front end can literally come off the ground, so slightly softer springs on the front with a REx doesn't' seem too strange to me. The total load capacity of the i3 with REx is slightly lower, so the actual max vehicle weight ends up almost identical between the two.

i3atl said:
dculber said:
carperson1 said:
Thanks

I am in Corona and Eibach is in Corona. Send me the contact info lol

dculber said:
i3atl said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just looking for feedback on the Cobra springs?

Do you have any pictures of the difference once installed - and how does it impact on the ride / drive-ability?

Whinters said:
dculber said:
i3atl said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just looking for feedback on the Cobra springs?

Do you have any pictures of the difference once installed - and how does it impact on the ride / drive-ability?
+ 1

It drops the car by 3/4" to 1". Very little impact on ride quality.

There have been some comparison shots posted on the Facebook group.

Back