E-Z Pass transponder under frunk lid?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vreihen

Has anyone tried mounting their E-Z Pass or similar toll transponder on the underside of their frunk lid? Since the hood is CFRP and plastic, radio signals should pass through it rather easily.

My E-Z Pass transponder is currently on the windshield, but I just applied for the special green one that gives a 10% discount for EV tolls at the expense of an ugly green E-Z Pass transponder hanging from the windshield. I was thinking about using the new transponder's mounting strips to hang it on the underside of the hood where nobody can see it, and am curious if anyone else tried this and failed?????

I finally received my ugly green E-Z Pass transponder in the mail. After running a loop of electrical tape around the seam in case it isn't waterproof, I stuck it to the underside of the frunk using the provided velcro-like adhesive strips:

20190609203439-6800c62d.jpg

I still need to take it for a test drive through a toll booth, to see if it can be read from this mounting location. Sunday afternoons during tourist season here in the Hudson Valley is not the best day for making an unnecessary trip on the local interstates, so testing will have to wait until tomorrow or Tuesday.....

I took a test run between exits on the ticketed part of the NYS Thruway yesterday, entering through a 20 MPH E-Z Pass lane and exiting through a 5 MPH lane. The charge showed up on my account today, with the correct tag number! Don't know if it read at both toll plazas or if they pieced together the trip from the slower exit read and license plate data, but it appears to work and I'm going to leave it under the frunk lid for now. I don't commute on toll roads, so this particular E-Z Pass tag won't see much use anyway.....

I can confirm EzPass RFID sticker version (not transponder) didn’t work in Florida when taped to the inside of the hood. Took 4-6 wks for the bill & letter to arrive in the mail. Works fine when stuck to windshield.

briantompo said:
I can confirm EzPass RFID sticker version (not transponder) didn’t work in Florida when taped to the inside of the hood. Took 4-6 wks for the bill & letter to arrive in the mail. Works fine when stuck to windshield.

yeah I just got the sticker on the right side of the rain sensor all the way up to the roofline on the glass.

Works perfectly, and I'm not able to see it from both seats.

Back