Decent Spare Wheel Rec

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imkazaam

I saw this on ebay and thought it looked nice ... wanted to get you all's opinions on it. I believe mercedes' share a bolt pattern with BMW ... but let me know what you all think.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-CL63-AMG-CL-W216-SPARE-WHEEL-TIRE-CONTINENTAL-155-70R19/292627763034

Can't say if that particular application would work for you. I do have a mercedes benz SLK 2005-2011 space saver wheel with bolt pattern that fits my i3 plus stores in the luggage compartment nicely. I strapped it down and stored the series 5 jack and kit in the frunk. I feel confident that in an emergency it will get me safely off the road and that's all I need.

According to the info in the eBay ad, it appears that tire is 11 years old. It may or may not be safe to use on your i3. You can buy a new Continental compact tire from Tire Rack. Then get a used BMW front wheel or a new Rial X10-I wheel (also available from Tire Rack). Copy and paste link:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=CST+17&sidewall=Blackwall&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2014&autoModel=i3&autoModClar=Giga%20World&frontTire=57MR9CST17&i1

If you are actually considering the purchase of an old donut spare for $300...or buying a $230 Continental donut spare tire and a $260 Rial rim...why not just pick up the $140 front Ecopia on the $260 rim instead? If it were me, I would change both of my front tires a little early, mount one of the old ones on a Rial rim, and stash the other old one in my garage in case of a puncture on any of the new tires.

I'm still amazed at how eBay has changed the world. Twenty years ago, I walked into a junkyard and left with four donut spares for free! There was zero market for them, and the scrap value was less than the labor to dismount them for recycling. If anyone is wondering what I would do with four donut spares, they made great winter storage wheels for my race car.....

I like the way the mercedes rim looks. I like the RIAL X10-I, too. Thanks for recommending it. Knock on wood...I have roadside assistance and don't get tire issues generally speaking. Also someone said something about paying $300 for a mercedes rim & tire. Actually I wanted to know whether or not the rim would fit the car and be an appropriate spare. Your junkyard experience is amazing :) I like your thinking regarding the rial rim. That makes a lot of sense. That or buy an i3 rim from a parts car and hold back a tire like you talked about. Or who knows, maybe the tire will come with it.

Back