Rear Bumper Guard/Protection

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Put some nice scrapes and nicks in the top of the rear bumper while loading a bike-box. Looking at the offerings on ebay and Amazon, was not overly impressed with the generic ones that sort of fit, and didn't cover the edge, where the nicks are. Someone posted that BMW makes one for the i3, available in Europe, but I never could find it listed anywhere. Then found this company.
https://www.rearguards.co.uk/

They make one custom molded to fit the i3. Price was good, except shipping to the US is a lot, more than doubling the cost. Ordered one, and must say, it is worth every penny, even with shipping. Came double-boxed by FedEx in just a few days, and fits like a glove. It is ridged ABS that exactly matches the black color of the ABS rocker panel on the car. Very heavy-duty and well made. Would buy again in a heart-beat. The i3 should come with this from the factory!!!

Boxed.jpg

View attachment Install1.png

View attachment Install2.png

Just curious if anyone has tried this rear bumper protection film for the i3.

https://www.lamin-x.com/precut-film-covers/bmw-i3-15-17-rear-bumper-guard.html

I think I was the one that mentioned the rear protector. I had my sister send me one from England. Luckily, she had access to the APO mail system, so it only cost about $7 shipping!

Anyway, it depends on what you're trying to protect. The films will not have the protection of the rigid cover. It might protect a surface scratch, but in my case, the bike in my case folds, and the joint is steel...it gouged the paint on the edge. IMHO, a film would have ripped. Also, while some films stretch, it would be tough to get it nice and smooth over the curved edge and down the vertical far enough to protect the edge while staying in place. Also, installing the thing was a piece of cake. Starting with a clean surface, you use the special wipe the provide, tear off the protection on the double-sided tape, and set it in place...done. Mine's been down for nearly 4-years, looks as good as the day it was installed.

I ordered this one from Amazon.

Rear Trunk Bumper Protector Guard Non Slip Rubber Sill Cover 41 inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5SXM6H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sC4rDbTA6701G

Alohart has reported that the 41 inch version is a perfect fit for the i3.

I ordered the Rearguards bumper cover. The total cost, including shipping from the U.K., was around $140.00. The installation was very easy, and it looks great. Thanks to MKH for the photos and product information.

I asked the folks that did my paint protection film install (clear bra) to do a custom piece for the rear cargo lip. It has done fairly well, though a careless loading maneuver made it almost all the way through the film.

symonray asks if anyone has experience with the Lamin-X product. The specs at their link say the thickness of the product is 8 mils. Having used similar films at an 8 mil thickness I would suggest that this is too thin for the cargo lip.

ISC makes a product called Helicopter Tape (Surface Protection Tape) in 8 and 14 mil thicknesses. At 14 mil you will have a beefy layer of protection. Not as robust as what MKH is using, but you can get a whole roll of this heli tape for about US$80 (depending on length and width):

https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racers-Tape-HT2314-Helicopter-OG-HD/dp/B004FKM220/

I've used this product (and the thinner 8 mil) in a number of applications for about ten years. It is a good product and it relatively easy to replace when worn.

FWIW, the price for the OEM part is cheaper from a UK BMW dealership than it is from the manufacturer if you buy it from them. I was able to have my sister buy one and mail it to me via APO, so my cost delivered was in the order of $70 or so (it's been awhile, I don't remember exactly).

You might find a UK BMW dealer willing to mail you the part versus direct from the manufacturer. The dollar to pound is more favorable now than it was when I bought mine.

Back