Created Mud Flaps for i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedlineTuning

After searching the internet for i3 specific mud flaps without any luck, I decided to just make a set...

My i3 prior to front flaps...

car1.jpg

Then, when completed...

car2.jpg

First, my i3 is lowered with HR springs, then spaced properly with 15mm front and 20mm rear, putting the wheels where they should have been from the factory. Since I did not want any rocks or other debris getting flung from tires up against the side or lower skirt of my pristine i3, I created this set and it solved all possibility of that.

First, I created templates using cardboard until I got the shape I wanted. I didn't want anything hanging out a mile and looking stupid, just something functional and unobtrusive.

Since the i3 has 4 bolts on the rear side of the fender well, I used them all in this simple mod.

flaps 0.jpg

I then transferred the shape to 1/8" pvc plastic - mirror image on each side can be seen...

flaps 3.jpg

Cut out with saber saw, drilled holes, then bolted up - literally an hour total with design.

flaps 1.jpg

flaps 2.jpg

flaps 4.jpg

flaps 5.jpg

Brian

Hey, You still have the templates? What are the chances -- I’m in Dexter too! Saw your car parked behind Hackney last month. I recognize the Redline Tuning emblem. It made me think - you have a tach? 🤔. Just got my ‘17 white Rex a few weeks ago. See ya around!

Wow, that's a really clean look! Great job - looks factory made! Maybe you can sell these. Probably wont' do much good for range, but most of you probably aren't as concerned about that.

Those look awesome, very well done! How do you get the rivet looking things off to install the mudflaps? Thank you!

Back