eNate

Re: Stargard "Service" Required

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:34 pm

MKH wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:42 pm
...the device should have some sort of GPS antenna 'eye', so look around your windshield...
This sounds crazy (at least it did to me), but I updated the factory Nav hardware on another of my cars (Ford Flex) and per the installation instructions, the vehicle's rooftop GPS antenna is unplugged and replaced with a new antenna a bit larger than a computer keyboard key, which is supposed to get buried inside the dash! Now, granted, this wasn't Ford saying this, but the company selling the retrofit kit has a reputation to uphold and uspet customers to deal with if it doesn't work, and yet this is how they chose to proceed. So it's possible there's no visible antenna on this Stargard dohickie.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

jadnashuanh

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:46 pm

I think you'll find that the antenna array on the i3 contains both a gps antenna and the cellular one. The gps antenna, obviously, is used for the navigation system, but also it is tied into the remote services so it can tell you where the car is at the time (useful in parking lots and if the car is stolen). If you have an accident, it lets the BMW concierge know where to send help. I'm not sure what an add-on system would actually add-on. I suppose having the antenna hidden somewhere inside might mean a thief wouldn't be able to disable it as easily, but then, most don't really want to be exposed tearing apart a car prior to driving or trucking it away, and, depending on where the antenna is located inside the car, may not have great view of the sky, so its ability to derive a position may be lessened. Personally, I think it's a dealership trying to gain some extra profit sort of like when they used to sell rustproofing prior to most (not all) manufacturers doing a much better job.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

eNate

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:30 pm

I've been digging around and trying to come up with more Stargard info.

I found this telling statement on their web page: "Introducing the first customer-financed auto-inventory system. Here’s how it works:
Stargard helps locate and protect your inventory while it’s on the lot. The most efficient way to track your inventory." It goes on to pitch a bunch of benefits to dealers for use while they are in possession of the car, but pitching it as something the consumer will end up paying for.

The parent company, All Lines Dealer Services (https://alllinesdealerservices.com/prod ... -overview/), also peddles all the after-sales add-ons many of us try to avoid while purchasing a car from a dealer: paint protection coatings, underbody coatings, pulsing brake lights, warranty and service add-ons. They also provide salesforce training and inventory management software.

I couldn't locate the installation manual for Stargard, but I found one from a competitor called GuidePoint Systems. These two paragraph from the manual sure make it seem like they don't want the owner to know it's there:

"The GPS-SID Control Module should always be well hidden in the vehicle. The control
module should only be accessible by removing various dash panels and should never be
visible to the vehicle’s driver. Additionally, cable ties should always be used to secure
the module in place so that it does not come loose. Hiding and securing the control
module properly will reduce the chances of tampering."

"The antenna should never be visible to the vehicle’s driver. Make sure the antenna is
underneath the plastic of the dash. As long as there is no metal above the antenna, it
should function properly."

Maybe I'm just jaded, and the manufacturer is trying to keep us consumers protected by minimizing the risk of a thief locating and deactivating the system.

eNate

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:31 pm

[Oops double post]
Last edited by eNate on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jadnashuanh

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Given what I hear from you, it totally sounds like a benefit for the dealer if the vehicle is stolen off of the lot, on a test drive, or to track you on your test drive(s) to confront you if you were to drive way over the recommended speeds, especially on an ICE where some yahoo might want to test the top speed on a green engine. That's not an issue with an EV...there is no motor break-in. Given what I hear from you, there's no way I'd pay for this add-on. There may be more to the story, so that's not definite, but I doubt it.

The existing nav/gps system can tell them the location, but that requires them starting the term of the contract performance duration. If the car isn't sold, the actual buyer would probably end up with a shorter term, or have to argue with BMW to make it start on the day of delivery. Regardless, it sounds like a benny for the dealer, not you.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”