Retrofits Questions (a lot)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmiol

Hi! This is my first post, so hello everybody!

I am in the process of purchasing my first i3 (my first BMW as a matter of fact). So Im pretty new to all of this world. It’s a 2017 White Giga, a beauty. I’m very excited!

Now, to my (somewhat) disappointment, this 2017 BMW does not support CarPlay. This is were I need help to solve.

To the best of my research, the reason for this is that the head unit is NBT and not the NBT EVO that started in 2018 i3.

Researching a little more, I found that Bimmer-Tech sells the NBT EVO ID5/ID6 Retrofit. It also sells a CarPlay MMI. That’s were things started to get confusing. Doesn’t the NBT EVO include the ability to CarPlay? Do I have to get both in order to have CarPlay? Help!?

Doing a little more research, I found out that there are other companies doing retrofits (Esys, somebody on Alibaba, etc.). This brings me to the next question: which one gives the closer look and feel to original BMW CarPlay (2018-2019)?

Doing even more research, I found out there is forum called BMW Coding, which apparently can activate stuff on the i3 (although I know that I can’t activate CarPlay if the hardware doesn’t support it). Buuuuuut, I still don’t really understand what can be done with this coding. Help!

Anyways, hello again! Please let me know if you know any of the answers to my questions. Thanks in advance.

Coding a BMW is somewhat of a misnomer. You won't actually be changing the operational code, but changing parameters used by that coding. On some, it turns functions on/off. On others, it offers changes in the calibration of those effects. Think about it like a formula like F=ma. The formula is fixed, but you can change the parameters of m or a and get a different result. Note, though, that if you change anything, if your vehicle needs new software from the dealer to fix a problem, it will reset any of the changes you may have made. There's a huge amount of things that can be 'coded' in a typical BMW.

Oh I see. For example, the speed of the hazard lights could be changed by coding. Or turn “on” CarPlay, correct? Again, probably need a NBT EVO retrofit for it to work, right?

So I missed something (important) in my original research. The ID6 retrofit costs over $2000 from Bimmer-Tech. Has anybody done this?

I mean, the NBT unit is the basic difference between the 2017 and the 2018. If it will get me the look and feel of a 2018 i3, for $2000, its not a terrible deal. Is it that much different from ID4? Or the CarPlay MMI?

Any comments, please?

Carmiol said:
So I missed something (important) in my original research. The ID6 retrofit costs over $2000 from Bimmer-Tech. Has anybody done this?

Their $2000 ID6 retrofit gets you wireless CarPlay, the same as 2018+ models. (No touchscreen, though.)

Their cheaper MMI option is apparently an older BMW entertainment system box, with only wired CarPlay hacked onto it somehow.

There are also ~$400 options from China similar to the MMI but not quite plug-and-play, if you want to go down that rabbit hole and deal with tech support through Skype when it doesn't work.

If you want the pure BMW experience, it'll cost you two grand. If I were doing CarPlay, that is what I would be buying. There is a video on YouTube showing the installation process on an i3, and it looks simple since everything is done under the rear seat. (Most other BMW's require opening up the dashboard as well.)

Personally, I would give the non-CarPlay BMW stuff a fair shake before dropping the money to replace it. Their connected apps setup works fine for Pandora in my 2015 model, and I think that it is worth the $50/year fee. If you want Google Maps or Waze, then CarPlay is the only game in town.....

The Unique Auto Dev retrofit is about half the cost of the Bimmer Tech, and reviews suggest it is better.

https://medium.com/@ayanhaydock/unique-auto-developments-carplay-kit-for-bmw-i3-e49137669bce

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-bmw-i3-widescreen-8-8/

MKH said:
The Unique Auto Dev retrofit is about half the cost of the Bimmer Tech, and reviews suggest it is better.

https://medium.com/@ayanhaydock/unique-auto-developments-carplay-kit-for-bmw-i3-e49137669bce

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-bmw-i3-widescreen-8-8/

Does it have the same look and feel of OEM BMW NBT EVO ID6? Apparently, the Bimmer-Tech one is original BMW, so it would be OEM. However, if Unique Auto Dev has the same look and feel as OEM, but half the price, that's a good option. Bimmer-Tech retrofit is $2000+

Does it have the same look and feel of OEM BMW NBT EVO ID6? Apparently, the Bimmer-Tech one is original BMW, so it would be OEM. However, if Unique Auto Dev has the same look and feel as OEM, but half the price, that's a good option. Bimmer-Tech retrofit is $2000+

I think the difference between the two systems, is the Bimmer-Tech replaces the factory i-drive unit under the rear seat, and depending on the year, also requires replacement of the head-unit on the dash - and gives OEM Carplay. the Unique Auto Dev has you connect a piggy-back Carplay unit to the existing i-drive unit under the seat, run a mic to the driver side pillar for voice control, and you then can switch back and forth between carplay, and the original i-drive setup.

@Carmiol

Where did you end up on this? Did you go with replacing the NBT unit completely or getting the MMI? Curios how this all shook out, I am looking at doing the same thing in my 2017.

I just purchased the retrofit for my 2017 and will post the results once I receive it and get it installed. This is for the Bimmer-tech version of the Car Play Prime MMI

Hi I'm curious about where you ended up on this and what option you went with. I am literally going through the same research and you about hit all my concerns.

Did you end up going with the BimmerTech or no? How was installation?

Send me a message if you'd like. Thanks!

On the topic of adding Carplay there are 2 ways to go about the task. One is upgrading all the OEM electronics to the tune of $2k plus additional
activation fees n such either through BMW or Bimmertech. The other is the piggyback MMI unit that plugs between the stock electronics of the BMW NBT (2014-2017 i3s) and the screen (irrespective of size). The MMI unit from Bimmertech used to cost more when it came out ,to the tune of $800. Price has since dropped to $650 because of the fierce competition and so many copycats. All the MMI units are borderline the same. There are very small nuances that for the average user would be imperceptible and there are some differences in terms of whether the stock mic is used for voice input, or an aftermarket mic is used. Certain units also require running wiring to the front behind the entertainment screen. Others do not. These MMI units have gotten pretty advanced and now offer both Carplay and Android Auto wirelessly within the same hardware. The most loved one recently is the Road Top that can be purchased from AliExpress (last lowest price $230) or Amazon ($299) . Functionality wise it's the same as the Joy Auto, Andream and a handful of other MMI units with varied strange names, including the Bimmertech one. They're all the same copied hardware from China with slightly tweaked firmware running on it. The choice is yours on where you want to spend your hard earned money. There's a vast spread on price, but the functionality delivered is the same regardless of brand name. They're all slightly glitchy here and there and require reboots from time to time, but it sure as heck makes it a no-brainer to spend $230-250 to get decent functioning Carplay and Android auto, than to spend $650 on the same unit, or to go down the full hardware replacement route and spend $2k. Lots of options for every budget and that's great all around.

I've been trying to find a comparison between them all, for example which uses the existing mic and which one requires a new mic to be run. Has anyone seen that anywhere?

BMWTech is in the process of putting one together that uses existing mic, with an easy install under the back seat. Reputable guy, has been selling OEM BMW MMI unities from test cars, programmed to your vin for Carplay. Now building their own. They have a group page on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1674546502711314/permalink/1887587118073917/?comment_id=1887628301403132&notif_id=1621105837261958&ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment_follow

Back