Different wheels on i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/2017-bmw-i3-wheels~65790-2017-31-23975-1-4-17-601-7644

They say that there are 102 sizes and styles of wheel that will fit the i3. Sizes range from 17 to 22" diameter and 7 to 10.5" width. Since the stock wheels are 5 or 5.5" wide, ALL of these are wider.

JohnWasser said:
They say that there are 102 sizes and styles of wheel that will fit the i3. Sizes range from 17 to 22" diameter and 7 to 10.5" width. Since the stock wheels are 5 or 5.5" wide, ALL of these are wider.

Also keep in mind the wheel offset. For instance, the [non-S] front wheel (5.0) has a 43mm offset that provides 1/2" of clearance from the strut.

If a replacement wheel width increases one inch to 6.0, the inside rim "grows" half of that difference (1/2") and fills the gap.

So to maintain the existing gap, the offset of the replacement wheel would have to decrease by a similar amount (by 1/2" or 12mm).

The [non-S] rear 5.5" wheel has a 53mm offset.

There are numerous custom forged options available that will fit with sizing from 5'5" wide on up, but none of them are cheap. BC Racing seems to have the best deal going on their wheels at about $700 a pop. You can find less expensive options in a 19"x7.5" wheel with appropriate spacers however, but you will absolutely need fender flares to fit them inside the bodywork. And without using significant additional back spacing, there are likely no 18" wheels that will fit over the upper suspension points on the rear hub.

https://www.coiloverwarehouse.com/p...kPhjb-ZK62gE4TjKbcXabJ5AzjRrGixxoCUdIQAvD_BwE

I'm not in a position to experiment, and I don't really want to be the guinea pig, but as often as this topic comes up you'd think by now we'd have some solid guides. If an 18" wheel will clear brakes/suspension, then something like 215/55R18 on an 18"x7" wheel with the right offset seems like a great option. Less range of course, but plenty of options and I have to believe you can find tires in that size that offer better handling and ride comfort.

As for fender flares. Let me start by saying I'm not a lawyer nor do I know the laws of every state. I am a long time offroader who has had many lifted vehicles with oversized tires, and been given tickets, had to get a jeep "approved" by Utah state police, etc. In my experience you do not necessarily need fender flares. What you need is EITHER fender flares or mud flaps. They must extend to the width of the tire and technically cover from midpoint of the tire up. However, in my experience you can be "close enough" and even angle the mud flaps just a bit so the bottom corner just barely covers the tread. Obviously a nice set of fender flares is the best option, but a set of cheap appropriately sized universal mud flaps should be enough to keep you legal.

Back