Safe 12V sources to tap for audio system

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electronchaser

In ref to a 2019 120ah bev i3.

I know the 12v (20ah) is riding up front. Is there any other junction I can take some 12V from to power two amps? Of course I'll be responsible and fuse it.

How much output does the dc-dc converter provide to top off the 12v. If I have the vehicle in READY mode, I should be able to bump the stereo at the energy expense of the HV battery pack, instead of taking it from the 12v. (via the dc-dc)

Looking to power a 400watt and a 600-1000watt amp for a little beast of a subwoofer.

THX!

ideally, I'd like to build and use a separate 12V lifepo4 battery up in the frunk powering the audio equipment, and charged up as needed.

Something like this.

youtube]5IPnQieycyA

would it be feasible to feed the audio system from this as its only power source, use for a few hours while driving, drain battery , recharge, repeat.

excerpt from website:

GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST! FINALLY BACK IN STOCK, I GET ASKED EVERY DAY ABOUT THESE. LAST TIME THESE SOLD OUT IN 2 WEEKS. PERFECT FOR COMPETITION AUDIO SYSTEMS.

SCREWS INCLUDED WHICH MAKES CONNECTING THESE TOGETHER SUPER EASY. JUST NEED BUSBARS.

LOOKING FOR A CRAZY AMOUNT OF POWER? LOOK NO FURTHER! THESE MAKE THE ULTIMATE 12V BATTERY TOO, JUST CONNECT 4 OF THESE IN SERIES. 200A RATED... FOR REAL.

Great question and research, I like your considered approach!

I do not have anything to add here, but I am also interested in this. Btw, your YouTube link is malformed, I think it meant to be [youtube] ?

electronchaser said:
derekgates said:
Great question and research, I like your considered approach!

I do not have anything to add here, but I am also interested in this. Btw, your YouTube link is malformed, I think it meant to be [youtube] ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPnQieycyA

Thanks for pointing out the broken link.

What an interesting freaking idea. I used to install Optima Yellow Tops in my cars for audio... this blows that out of the water!

A consideration for me, for sure. Thank you!

For my recent amp install, I pulled directly off the rear electric motor DC-DC converter. Proximity to the back seat made it super easy to run power+ground. I used two of the top bolt holes to the run 8-10 AWG through and then under the carpet and around/down under the back seat. I've seen others run all the way from the front 12v battery which seems inefficient after realizing how accessible the rear power is.

Back