Flo Level 2 Charger Plug

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batteryfan

I have just encountered a problem with my Flo Level 2 charger when connecting to my new (to me) BMW i3 Gigaworld. Previously I used this charger without incident in charging a Chevy Volt and a Nissan Leaf. However when I attempted to connnect it to the i3, the charger plug fit very snugly the first couple of times, and on the third time I attempted to plug in the i3 the Flo charger plug would not insert far enough to engage charging. After a bit of mucking around I noticed there was a gasket inside the Flo charger plug which had become rumpled by the snug fit with the i3 charger receptacle, and was obstructing the connection. I removed the gasket with a pair of tweezers and the issue was resolved. The Bimmer is charging happily now.

The J1772 plug on our old (2014) JuiceBox fits much more tightly on our i3's charging port than does the plug of the Occasional Use Cable (UOC) or on public charging station plugs. I have tried lubricating the JuiceBox plug with silicone spray, but that didn't help. With so many surfaces mating when the plug is inserted into the port, I don't know which are causing the tightness.

Back